Faculty & Staff
J. Theodore Klein, PhD
Senior Lecturer (Ethics, Social & Political)
Areas of Expertise
Ethics of caring
PhD, Boston University, 1969
Professional Publications & Contributions
- "When Is Caring Good?", PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION 2000, ed. Lynda Stone (Urbana, IL: Philosophy of Education Society, 2000), pp. 335-342.
- THE POWER OF SERVICE (San Francisco: J. Appleseed, 1998)
- "Transforming Ethical Theory," AMERICAN PHILOSOPHICAL ASSOCIATION NEWSLETTER ON FEMINISM AND PHILOSOPHY, 90 (Winter 1991), pp. 92-96.
- "Teaching and Mother Love," EDUCATIONAL THEORY, 39 (Fall 1989), pp. 373-383.
- Should There Be Separate School Athletic Teams for Females and Males?", JOURNAL OF SOCIAL PHILOSOPHY, 19 (Fall 1988), pp. 42-51.
- "Philosophy of Education, Physical Education, and the Sexes," in Betsy C. Postow (ed.), WOMEN, PHILOSOPHY, AND SPORT (Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1983), pp. 207-230.
- "A Model for a Pluralistic Democracy," CONTEMPORARY PHILOSOPHY: PHILOSOPHICAL RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS, VIII (Early Spring 1980), pp.16-18.
- RECENT PRESENTATIONS (UMass Boston)
- Co-feeling and its Importance for Caring. Philosophy Department Lunch, 2013
- CO-FEELING AND ITS IMPORTANCE FOR CARING
Philosophy Club; 2013
- TWO FORMS OF KNOWING HOW OTHERS FEEL
Philosophy Club; Philosophy Department Lunch, 2011
- ROLES OF IMAGINATION IN UNDERSTANDING AND CARING
Philosophy Club; Philosophy Department Lunch, 2010
- ROLES OF IMAGINATION IN PERSONAL AND POLITICAL CARING
Philosophy Club; Philosophy Department Lunch, 2009
- UNDERSTANDING ACROSS DIFFERENCES
Philosophy Club; Philosophy Department Lunch, 2008
- COMMUNICATIVE DEMOCRACY AND AN ETHICS OF CARING
Philosophy Club: Philosophy Department Lunch, 2007
Back to Philosophy Faculty page
Back to Philosophy Department main page