Faculty & Staff
Jorge Capetillo-Ponce, PhD
Associate Professor of Sociology, College of Liberal Arts
Acting Chair, Latino Studies Program
Areas of Expertise
Social Theory, Race and Ethnic Relations, Media Studies, Latino Studies
PhD, New School for Social Research
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Capetillo, Jorge, Glenn Jacobs and Philip Kretsedemas, eds. 2013. Migrant Marginality: A Transnational Perspective. New York: Routledge.
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. “On Borderlands and Bridges: An Inquiry into Gloria Anzaldúa’s Methodology.” In AnaLouise Keating and Gloria Gonzalez-Lopez (eds.) Bridging: How and Why Gloria Evangelina Anzaldúa’s Life and Work Transformed Our Own. University of Texas Press 2011.
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. ”Blacks and Latinos/as in Boston: Two Trends of Collective Identification.” In Latino Studies, Vol. 8, Issue 2, Summer 2010, pp. 244-270.
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. and Abreu, G. “Ethnicity, Immigration and Marginality: The Maya K’iche of New Bedford.” In The Trotter Review, Winter/Spring 2010, pp. 59-80
- Binkley, Samuel and Capetillo-Ponce, Jorge. A Foucault for the 21st. Century: Governmentality, Biopolitics, and Discipline in the New Millenium. Newcastle UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2009.
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. “The Walls of the Labyrinth: Mapping Octavio Paz’s Sociology through Georg Simmel’s Method.” In Kozlarek, O (ed.) 2009 Octavio Paz: Humanism and Critique. Transcript Verlag, Bielefield.
- Binkley, S. and Capetillo-Ponce, J. 2008. Marxism and the Cuban Revolution: Historical and Contemporary Reflections. Rethinking Marxism. Volume 20, Number 3, July 2008, pp. 437-451
- Binkley, S. and Capetillo-Ponce, J. 2008. Foucault and the “New Man”: Conversations on Foucault in Cuba. Rethinking Marxism. Volume 20, Number 3, July 2008, pp. 452-463
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. 2008. “Framing the “Taxes and Undocumented Workers” Debate: A Critical Review of Texts Supporting Pro-Enforcement Policies and Practices” In Kretsedemas, P. and Brotherton, D. (eds.) Keeping out the other: a critical introduction to immigration enforcement today. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Capetillo-Ponce, J. “From ‘A Clash of Civilizations’ to ‘Internal Colonialism’: Reactions to the Theoretical Bases of Samuel Huntington’s ‘The Hispanic Challenge.’” Ethnicities, 2007. (SAGE, London, Thousand Oaks and New Delhi) Vol 7(1): 116-134.