Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Moral philosophy, race theory, moral psychology and development, multiculturalism
PhD, Harvard University, 1974
Professional Publications & Contributions
- High Schools, Race, and America's Future: What Students Can Teach Us About Morality, Diversity, and Community
- I'm Not a Racist, But . .: The Moral Quandary of Race
- Moral Perception and Particularity
- Friendship, Altruism and Morality
- Freundschaft als moralisches Phänomen (Deutsch Übersetzung der früheren)
- A Truer Liberty: Simone Weil and Marxism
- Recent articles & book chapters:
- “Racial and Other Asymmetries: A Problem for the Protected Categories Framework for Antidiscrimination Thought,” in Philosophical Foundations of Discrimination Law, ed. by Sophia Moreau & Deborah Hellman.. Oxford University Press, 2014: 182-199.
- “False Symmetries in Far From Heaven and Elsewhere,” in Susan Wolf & Christopher Grau (eds.), Understanding Love Through Philosophy, Film, & Fiction, Oxford University Press, 2014: 37-59
- “Political Identity and Moral Education: A Response to Jonathan Haidt’s The Righteous Mind,” Journal of Moral Education, 42:3, 298-315. 2013.
- “Benevolence,” International Encyclopedia of Ethics (ed. Hugh LaFollette) Wiley-Blackwell, online, 2013.
- “Five Things High School Students Should Know About Race,” Harvard Education Letter, Nov/Dec 2012 (2 pp) [awarded "special citation" by Education Writers Association for education writing]
- “Moral Asymmetry: A Problem for the Protected Categories Approach,” Lewis and Clark Law Review, vol 16:2, summer 2012: 101-109
View Professor Blum's website
Back to Philosophy Faculty List
Back to Philosophy Department main page