Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Literacy studies, technology and composition, composition theory and pedagogy, and collaborative learning and writing
PhD, Florida State University
Professional Publications & Contributions
- "What Do We Want in This Paper?: Generating Criteria Collectively." Teaching With Student Texts. Ed. Joseph Harris, John Miles, Charles Paine. Logan: Utah State UP, 2011. Print. (with Chris Anson and Domenica Vilhotti).
- "Expanding the Available Means of Composing: Three Sites of Inquiry." Enculturation 14 (2012). Web. (with Kevin Brock and Stephen J. McElroy).
- “Notes toward the Role of Materiality in Composing, Reviewing, and Assessing Multimodal Texts.” Computers & Composition, 31.1 (2014). 13-28. (with Kathleen Yancey).
- “A Matter of Design: Context and Available Resources in the Development of a New English Major at Florida State University.” Writing Majors: Eighteen Program Profiles. Eds. Greg Giberson, Jim Nugent, Lori Ostergaard. Logan: Utah State UP, 2015. Print. (with Kristie Fleckenstein and Kathleen Yancey).
- "Program Sustainability: Curricular Resilience in Florida State's Editing, Writing, and Media Concentration." South Atlantic Review, 78.1/2 (2015). 10-33. (with Kristie Fleckenstein, Kathleen Yancey, and Katherine Bridgman).
- "Against the Rhetoric and Composition Grain: A Microhistorical View." Microhistories of Composition. Ed. Bruce McComiskey. Utah State University Press. (with Jacob Craig, Christine Martorana, Josh Mehler, Kendra Mitchell, Anthony N. Ricks, Bret Zawilski, and Kathleen Blake Yancey). (forthcoming)
- "Device. Display. Read: The Design of Reading and Writing and the Difference Display Makes." Writing Teachers Teaching Reading. Eds. Patrick Sullivan, Howard Tinberg, and Sheridan Blau. (with Jacob Craig, Michael Spooner, and Kathleen Yancey). (forthcoming)
Courses taught at UMass Boston:
Engl 101 – Freshman English I
Engl 203 – Writing: Craft, Context, Design
Engl 306 – Advanced Nonfiction Writing
Engl 312 – Digital Culture and Composition
Engl 379 – Professional and New Media Writing
Engl 448 – Perspectives on Literacy
Engl 464 – Advanced Studies in Language: Rhetoric, New Media, and the US Presidential Election
Engl 475 & 477 – English Internships I & II
Engl 613 – Teaching English with Technology
Engl 697 – Graduate Seminar for Tutors