Faculty & Staff
Tara Devi S. Ashok, PhD
Senior Lecturer II of Anthropology and Biology
Areas of Expertise
Biochemical Genetics of Mental Retardation, Hemoglobinopathies at Clinical and Population Levels, Cancer Genetics, Molecular Anthropological Studies of South Indian Tribal Populations, Evolutionary Developmental Biology, Human Origins, Biological Anthropology.
B.Sc (Honors) Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1973.
M.Sc in Anthropology with Specialization in Physical Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1975.
PhD in Anthropology, “Biochemical Genetics of Mental Retardation: A study of Hemoglobin, Australia Antigen and the enzymes Pseudocholinesterase and Glucose -6-phosphate dehydrogenase.” University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1981.
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Ashok, Tara Devi S. (2014) "Development of a new mindset for eLearning Pedagogy: for the Teacher and the Learner," Current Issues in Emerging eLearning: Vol. 1: Iss. 1, Article 4.
- Eric J. Duell, John K. Wienke, Tsun - Jen Cheng, Andrea Varkony, Zheng Fa Zuo, Tara Devi S. Ashok, Eugene J. Mark, John C. Wain, David C. Christiani and Karl T. Kelsey. Polymorphism in the DNA repair genes XRCC1 and ERCC2 and biomarkers of DNA damage in human blood mononuclear cells. Carcinogenesis.2000 May; 21(5): 965-71.
- Ashok, T. Why Is It Important to Teach about Race, Caste and Gender? An Anthropologist’s Viewpoint. HUMAN ARCHITECTURE: Journal of the Sociology of Self-Knowledge. 2011. IX (3), 71-80.
- Tara Devi S. Ashok. Teach others to learn while you are learning to teach: A personal journey in teaching, linking Pedagogy and Technology. This was presented at the CIT conference on Teaching for Transformation, January 2008.UMass Boston, MA. It has been published in Human Architecture, 2008. Vol VI, Issue 1, 61-67.
- Karl T. Kelsey, Tomoko Hirao, Shuya Hirao, Devi-Ashok, Tara, Heather H. Nelson, Angeline Andrew, Joanne Colt, Dalsu Baris, J. Steven Morris, Alan Schned, and Margaret Karagas. Tp53 alterations and patterns of carcinogen exposure in a US population-based study of bladder cancer. Int J Cancer, 117 (3): 370-75, 2005
- Shuya Hirao, Tomoko Hirao, Carmen J. Marsit, , Yoko Hirao, , Alan Schned, , Tara Devi-Ashok, , Heather H. Nelson,, Angeline Andrew, Margaret R. Karagas, Karl T. Kelsey, Loss of heterozygosity on chromosome 9q and p53 alterations in human bladder cancer. Cancer, 2005, Volume 104, Issue 9, 1918 - 1923
- Hernandez-Diaz, Sonia; Wu, Xiao F.; Hayes, Catherine; Werler, Martha M.; Ashok, Tara Devi S.; Badovinac, Rachel; Kelsey, Karl T.; Mitchell, Allen A. Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase C677T Polymorphism and the Risk of Gestational Hypertension. Epidemilogy. 16(5): 628-634, September 2005.
- K.T.Kelsey, T. Hiro, A. Schned, T. Devi-Ashok, H.H. Nelson, A. Andrew and M.R. Karagas. A population– based study of immunohistochemical detection of p53 alteration in bladder cancer. British.J. Cancer. 2004. 90, 1572-1576.
Research in Innovative teaching, Cancer Genetics, Mitochondrial Genetics, Hemoglobinopathies and Genetics of Mental Retardation.
- Bio 101- Basis of Life (for non-bio students)
- Bio 111 –General Biology
- Bio 314- Developmental Biology
- Bio 313- Developmental Biology with Lab
- Bio 111- General Biology Courses
- Biochm 383,385,384- Biochemistry1 & 2 Lecture and Lab 1
- Bio 187 and 188 Freshmen Biology Courses
- Anth 105- Introduction to Biological Anthropology
- Anth 211- Human Origins – Face to face and Online
- Anth 313 -Developmental models in Human evolution
Learning music and painting.
To read Tara Ashok's full resume, click here.