Faculty & Staff
Tara Devi S. Ashok, PhD
- Senior Lecturer II of Anthropology and Biology
- 617.287.6559 Telephone:
- Tara.Ashok@umb.edu Email:
100 Morrissey Blvd. Office Location: M-2-110
Areas of Expertise
Biochemical Genetics of Mental Retardation, Hemoglobinopathies at Clinical and Population Levels, Cancer Genetics, Molecular Anthropological Studies of South Indian Tribal Populations, Evolutionary Developmental Biology, Human Origins, Biological Anthropology.
B.Sc (Honors) Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1973.
M.Sc in Anthropology with Specialization in Physical Anthropology, University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1975.
PhD in Anthropology, “Biochemical Genetics of Mental Retardation: A study of Hemoglobin, Australia Antigen and the enzymes Pseudocholinesterase and Glucose -6-phosphate dehydrogenase.” University of Delhi, Delhi, India. 1981.
Professional Publications & Contributions
Research in Innovative teaching, Cancer Genetics, Mitochondrial Genetics, Hemoglobinopathies and Genetics of Mental Retardation.
- Bio 101- Basis of Life (for non-bio students)
- Bio 111 –General Biology
- Bio 314- Developmental Biology
- Bio 313- Developmental Biology with Lab
- Bio 111- General Biology Courses
- Biochm 383,385,384- Biochemistry1 & 2 Lecture and Lab 1
- Bio 187 and 188 Freshmen Biology Courses
- Anth 105- Introduction to Biological Anthropology
- Anth 211- Human Origins – Face to face and Online
- Anth 313 -Developmental models in Human evolution
- 2011 - “Teaching with Technology Award -- Innovation & Creativity”, UMass Boston.
- 1983 - The Indian Science Congress Young Scientist Award, ISCA.
Learning music and painting.
To read Tara Ashok's full resume, click here.