Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department
Welcome to the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
UMass Boston's Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures offers a diverse and engaging curriculum in eight different languages. These languages are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Vietnamese. Our courses range from language instruction to literary, cultural, and film studies. Our well-rounded faculty made up of prolific scholars and committed teachers incorporates the latest technology into their classes. Our focus is on creating a strong community of language learners, critical thinkers, and responsible global citizens.
Current Department News
- Find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mllcumb
- Conversation Hours! Come practice different languages:
- Mondays: Caffè Italiano, 1:00-2:00PM, M01-241
- Wednesdays: Café de la Parole (French), 9:45-10:45AM, Campus Center, UL, by the Ross Center (Look for Professor Thierry Gustave)
- Thursdays: German Kaffeklatsch, 10:00-12:00PM, M04-214
- Fridays: Russian Conversation, 1:00-2:00PM, M04-214
- Recent publications!
- from Associate Dean (and French Professor), Pratima Prasad: Pratima Prasad, ed. Approaches to Teaching Sand’s Indiana. Co-edited with David Powell. NY: MLA Publications, 2015.
- from Professor Diana Burgin, Performing Life: The Story of Ruth Posselt, An American Violinist. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 2016.