Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department
Welcome to the Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
UMass Boston's Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures offers a diverse and engaging curriculum in eight different languages. These languages are Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Vietnamese. Our courses range from language instruction to literary, cultural, and film studies. Our well-rounded faculty made up of prolific scholars and committed teachers incorporates the latest technology into their classes. Our focus is on creating a strong community of language learners, critical thinkers, and responsible global citizens.
Current Department News
- Check out our Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/mllcumb/
- We are welcoming our newest full-time faculty member, Shannon McHugh. Professor McHugh is an Assistant Professor of Italian and French with a PhD from New York University. Her courses this Fall include: A Long History of the Graphic Novel and Italian 101.
- The German Studies Minor is finally official!!! If you'd like to see the requirements, check out the page. You can ask Professor Katharina Loew any questions or stop by the German Conversation Hour from 11:00-12:00 on Thursdays!
- Caffé Italiano will be held every Monday from 1:00-2:00PM in McCormick, 1st floor, room 421. Feel free to come practice your Italian! Additional tutoring hours will take place in the same room from 2:00-3:00PM!
- Recent publications!
- from Associate Dean (and French Professor), Pratima Prasad: Pratima Prasad, ed. Approaches to Teaching Sand’s Indiana. Co-edited with David Powell. NY: MLA Publications, 2015.
- from Professor Diana Burgin, Performing Life: The Story of Ruth Posselt, An American Violinist. Amherst: University of Massachusetts Press, 2016.
Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department News:
All News ›
In the Media
Modern Languages, Literatures, and Cultures Department In the Media:
All In the Media ›