Information on Elementary Language Proficiency and Language Assessment Exams:
- Students seeking a language proficiency assessment or interested in taking a language placement exam should stop in the department between 9:30AM-2:30PM to complete a language examination.
- For a Spanish or Portuguese language assessment, please contact the Latin American & Iberian Studies Department at 617.287.7550.
- Written exams are available for Arabic, French, German, Italian, and Japanese. Exams take approximately 30-60 minutes.
- For Chinese or Vietnamese, you must meet with a professor directly for an assessment, Faculty List.
- Methods for assessment can include reading, writing and/or oral testing.
- If you are seeking a waiver in a language that is not currently taught by our department, please see Betsabe Gomez at the Office of Undergraduate Studies, Campus Center, first floor, room 1300 or call 617.287.6330 to make arrangements.
- A language assessment is for the Elementary Language Proficiency requirement only, not WC/WL. Students cannot be waived from WC/WL requirements.
- Not all students need to satisfy an Elementary Language Proficiency requirement. Please check your major requirements with your advisor carefully.