As part of the Performing Arts Department, the Dance Program provides students with a technical foundation in ballet, modern, jazz, and hip-hop dance techniques as well as exposure to and fundamental training in a diversity of world and theater dance forms. Faculty facilitate performance and choreographic opportunities, and encourage students to understand dance from historical and world perspectives.
- We are committed to dance’s capacity to express identities across cultures.
- We teach the importance of sound biomechanics as an essential part of efficient and injury-free performance.
- We create an innovative instructional environment through individualized attention.
- We cultivate mutual respect while inspiring students to achieve their personal artistic goals.
Graduates with a BA(minor) in Dance will have:
- The ability to identify and work conceptually with elements of dance.
- An acquaintance with a significant selection of dance repertory, genres and cultural sources.
- An understanding of procedures for realizing a variety of dance styles
- An understanding of choreographic processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural ideas and contexts.
- The ability to perform in one or more areas of dance at a basic level.
- The ability to develop and defend critical evaluations.