International Applicants

IPMHCP -  Immigration Information

Infant Parent Mental Health Certificate Program:  Immigration Information for International Participants

The Infant Parent Mental Health Certificate Program is a full-time, low-residency certificate program. Because this certificate program is the equivalent to the full-time course load for traditional certificate programs, the University is able to offer visa sponsorship to international participants. The visa sponsorship is determined by the institution’s immigration office, not by prospective participants.  Fellows should work with the institution’s immigration office to secure the proper documentation to enter the U.S. in student status.

Most foreign nationals who are accepted into the program will reside in their home countries and continuously enter and exit for the program sessions.  They will be issued a Form I-20, a Certificate of Eligibility, which will enable them to acquire an F-1 student visa to be admitted to the U.S. for the purpose of study.

Student may not participate in the program on a B1/B2 visa or on the Visa Waiver Program.

Visa Sponsorship for In-Country Participants
Some fellow may choose to reside in the U.S. during the two year certificate program.  If these participants do not have a visa status that allows them to both work and study in the U.S. (H1, TN) they will receive a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility) to enable them to reside in the U.S. in student status.

Prospective international fellows in the U.S. who may wish to apply for a change of status from their current visa status to F-1 status in order to be eligible for work authorization for the required internship period, must apply for and be approved by the start date of the program.  Change of status applications can take up to 5 months to process by United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS).  It is recommended that these participants exit the U.S. and re-enter in F-1 student status.

To obtain a Form I-20 from the Immigration Office
Participants must submit additional items to the program director after being accepted to the program in order to obtain the required F-1 visa to enter the U.S. in student status.  Although, most international participants will not reside in the US, the materials required to obtain the Form I-20 are the materials required of in-country participants as per Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations. 

Required Practicum for the duration of the program
As the program requires practicum for its duration, the ISSS office will issue in-country participants off-campus employment documents needed for authorized employment in the U.S.

For visa and immigration questions, please contact Susan L. Connors at the International Student & Scholar Services office at



The next IPMH fellowship will begin in March 2018. If you're interested in joining the cohort, please email Applications are now available. We will accept fellows on a rolling basis until the class is filled, after which time, a waiting list will be compiled of qualified applicants. Click here for application.
Read More