Applied Sociology, MA
The University of Massachusetts Boston's Master of Arts (MA) Program in Applied Sociology is designed to help our students understand the social forces that shape their world with practical training in research methods, statistics, and evaluation research. The program's applied focus integrates research approaches and course work that emphasizes faculty core strengths in medical sociology, criminal justice, and immigration research.
Set in the vibrant city of Boston, students will find a community of scholars here at UMass Boston and the opportunity to work closely with faculty and each other studying the current sociological issues of our time. Graduate students regularly present at conferences, publish in academic journals and participate in grant funded research.
Our graduates are researchers, managers, instructors, policy analysts, and service providers in health care, social service and criminal justice agencies, and in corporate departments throughout the area and the country. Many have continued their advanced studies in PhD programs.
Applied MA Students:
- Complete a set of core courses that provide a foundation in the theories and methods used by applied sociologists including foundations of applied sociology; applied sociological theory; social policy analysis; social problems; complex organizations; and research methods.
- Take specialty courses and concentrations develop substantive expertise in areas such as criminology/corrections, the sociology of law, medical sociology, psychiatric epidemiology, and alcohol, drugs and crime.
- Special concentrations, offered in collaboration with other programs, include forensic services, gerontology, dispute resolution, and counseling. Staff at the Center for Survey Research offer a survey research practicum.
- Complete an internship and/or coursework in the teaching of sociology.
- Capstone requirement: Masters Thesis, research paper or comprehensive exam.
To discuss your options further, contact Dr. Nicolette Salerno, Graduate Programs Coordinator at email@example.com.