- The College of Management introduced the Professional MBA, offering students the opportunity to complete their MBA over 16 months by taking courses on Saturdays and online. Applications are now being accepted for fall 2015.
- Benyamin Lichtenstein’s (co-authored) article, “Power Law Distributions in Entrepreneurship: Implications for Theory and Research” was recently accepted for publication in the Journal of Business Venturing. (In Press - accepted January, 2015).
- Vesela Veleva presented her poster, "Ocean Renewable Power Company: Lessons from the First Commercial Tidal System in the U.S.” at the Energy and Climate Change National Conference organized by the National Council for Science and Environment (NCSE) on January 27-29 in Washington D.C. UMass Boston is an affiliate organization to the NCSE.
- George Kelley will serve as Editor-In-Chief (2015-2019) for IGI Global's Information Resources Management Journal (IRMJ). The IRMJ is a leading peer-reviewed, original research journal that is indexed and distributed to research search engines, university and corporate libraries, and other major institutions world-wide. The IRMJ seeks to identify best-in-class managerial and organizational information resource practices and facilitate the adoption and implementation of state-of-the-art information technologies.
- Data Privacy and Protection: A Project for Italy
- This semester, four delegates from Italy met with UMass Boston Professor of Management Information Systems Noushin Ashrafi to discuss her research on data privacy and protection. Representatives from Italy included Mr. Amos Bolis, Colonel Maurizio Bortoletti, Professor Maurizio Mensi, and Mr. Francesco Vitali.
- Arthur Goldsmith has been appointed to the National Screening Committee for the 2015-16 Fulbright-Clinton Fellowships. Fulbright-Clinton Fellows serve in professional placements as special assistants in foreign government ministries or institutions and gain hands-on public sector experience in participating foreign countries while simultaneously carrying out a research or study project.
- UMass Boston Contract with the Massachusetts Cultural Council to Evaluate Impact
- Pacey Foster received a $25,000 contract from the Massachusetts Cultural Council (MCC) to help them evaluate the economic, social, and cultural impacts of their Adams Arts Program in 2014-2015. Working with a team that includes the UMASS Donahue Institute, the Edward J. Collins Jr. Center for Public Management at UMass Boston, and the Program on Arts Administration at Boston University, Professor Foster convened the first meeting of the 29 Adam’s Arts Grantees on September 30, 2014 at UMass Boston.
- Jurui Zhang and her coauthor Angela Liu from Tsinghua University have been recently granted by National Natural Science Foundation of China for our working project titled: "Digital Marketing and Its Interaction with Geographical and Spatial Marketing Under the Social Network Environment". The $104,000 grant spans 4 years till December 2018.
- The Financial Services Forum is announced the completion of Research Fellow James Grant's manuscript entitled, "Perspectives on the Global Financial Crisis from Emerging Managers and Public Policy Makers". Abridged and full versions of the manuscript are both available.
- Rui Li’s paper, “Investment and CEO Compensation under Limited Commitment” has been accepted for publication by the Journal of Financial Economics. The Journal of Financial Economics is in the coveted FT 45 list used by the Financial Times in compiling Business School research rank. There are only 4 journals in Finance that appear in this list.
- Louise Parker's article "Prescribing Clinicians’ Perspectives on Evidence-Based Psychotherapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder" was recently published in Behavioral Sciences.
- Vesela Veleva's article, "Understanding and addressing business needs and sustainability challenges: Lessons from Devens Eco-Industrial Park" was recently published in the Journal of Cleaner Production.
- The College of Management Awards the Betty Diener and the Joan Moon Award for Excellence in Teaching
- At commencement on May 30, College of Management presented Professor KoEun Park with the Joan Moon Undergraduate Teaching Award and Professor Yong-Chul Shin with the Betty Diener Graduate Teaching Award for excellence in teaching.
- Dean Jorge Haddock Hosts AACSB Webinar
- College of Management Dean Jorge Haddock will be the presenter of the AACSB Accreditation: Process and Procedures webinar. The College of Management is one of just over 700 business schools accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).This webinar is part of the AACSB Webinar Series.
- Dean Jorge Haddock has been invited to continue to serve as a member of the Latin American & Caribbean Advisory Council for the fiscal year July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015.
- Haijing Hao's research is referenced in The Economist. “Patients around the world are starting to give doctors a piece of their mind. The result should be better care.”
- Benyamin Lichtenstein's book, Generative Emergence, was printed and released by Oxford University Press in July 2014. The book integrates 30 years of research in entrepreneurship, innovation, and complexity science, and calls for a discipline of emergence across the academy.
- Vesela Veleva’s book, "Business, Environment and Society - Themes and Cases" was released in August 2014.
- UMass Boston Professors Win Best Paper Award at 2014 Marketing & Public Policy Conference
- Vincent Xie, (Assistant Professor of Marketing at UMass Boston) and Jessie M. Quintero Johnson (Assistant Professor of Communication at UMass Boston) won the Best Paper Award of the 2014 Marketing & Public Policy Conference. The paper is titled, “Consumer persuasion knowledge and third-person effect of baseline omission.”
- UMass Boston Launches Graduate Certificate in Healthcare’s Hot New Specialty
- The University of Massachusetts Boston is offering a new online graduate certificate in healthcare informatics. Noushin Ashrafi was recently interviewed for an article that appeared in an advertising supplement in the Boston Sunday Globe Magazine on March 23rd about the field and the demand for health informatics in the job market. Learn more about the Healthcare Informatics Online Graduate Certificate.
- Joseph P. Healey Research Grant Program
- Roger Blake and Ehsan Elahi’s proposal “An Experimental Investigation of Competitive Decision Making” has been recommended by the review panel of the Joseph P. Healey Research Grant Program and approved for funding in the amount of $9,047.00.
- Social Media, Big Data and Innovation - A Research Forum at IIM Bangalore
- The Center for Software and IT Management at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore organized a unique research forum on ‘Social Media, Big Data and Innovation’. Pratyush Bharati, Professor of Management Information Systems at UMass Boston, co-organized the forum. The research forum was held on March 15th and was attended by 200 participants representing 60 IT organizations. The forum was held in collaboration with Kcommunity Bangalore, NASSCOM, NHRD Network Bangalore, PGSEM Participants of IIMB and the University of Massachusetts Boston.
- Vincent Xie’s paper, “Disentangling the effects of perceived deception and anticipated harm on consumer responses to deceptive advertising” has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Business Ethics.
- Sangwan Kim’s paper entitled "Analyst forecasts and the permanence of tax change component of earnings" (coauthored with Andy Schmidt at NCSU and Kelly Wentland at UNC) was accepted for presentation at the American Taxation Association (ATA) Midyear meeting that took place in February in San Antonio, TX.