Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Consumer Behavior, Marketing Communication, Marketing Research
PhD, University of Oregon, 2009
MA, Washington State University, 2004
BA, Sichuan University, 2001
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Xie, G., Madrigal, R., & Boush, D. M. (2015). Disentangling the effects of perceived deception and anticipated harm on consumer responses to deceptive advertising. Journal of Business Ethics, 129, 281-293.
- Xie, G. & Quintero-Johnson, J. M. (2015). Examining the third-person effect of baseline omission in numerical comparison: The role of consumer persuasion knowledge. Psychology & Marketing, 32 (4), 438-449.
- Chang, H., Zhang, L., & Xie, G. (2015). Message framing in green advertising: The effect of construal level and consumer environmental concern. International Journal of Advertising, 34 (1), 158-176.
- Xie, G., Boush, D. M., & Liu, R. (2015). Tactical deception in covert selling: A persuasion knowledge perspective. Journal of Marketing Communications, 21 (3), 224-240.
- Xie, G. & Kahle, L. R. (2014). Approach or avoid? The effect of regulatory focus on consumer behavioral responses to personal selling attempts. Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 34 (4), 260-271.
- Xie, G. (2014). Deceptive advertising and third-person perception: The interplay of generalized and specific suspicion, Journal of Marketing Communications. DOI: 10.1080/13527266.2014.918051.
- Xie, G. & Kronrod, A. (2012). Is the devil in details? The signaling effect of numerical precision in environmental advertising claims. Journal of Advertising, 41(4), 107-121.
- Gurel-Atay, E., Xie, G., Chen, J., & Kahle, L.R. (2010). Changes in social values in the United States, 1976-2007: “Self-Respect” is on the upswing as “Sense of Belonging” becomes less important. Journal of Advertising Research. 50(1), 57-67.
Consumer Behavior, Customer Relationship Management, Marketing Research, Principles of Marketing
Grants, Honors, and Awards
- The Best Paper Award, AMA Marketing & Public Policy Conference, Boston, 2014
- University Research Seminar Fellow, University of Massachusetts Boston, 2010
- Joseph P. Healey Research Grant, University of Massachusetts Boston, 2010
- AMA-Sheth Foundation Doctoral Consortium Fellow, Phoenix, AZ, 2007
- Merle King Smith Doctoral Scholarship, Charles H. Lundquist College of Business, University of Oregon, 2004-08