Faculty & Staff
Pacey C. Foster, PhD
- Associate Professor of Management
- 617-287-7089 Telephone:
- email@example.com Email:
100 Morrissey Blvd. Office Location: M-5-223
Areas of Expertise
Creative industries, Social networks, leadership and negotiation
PhD, Wallace E. Carroll School of Management, Boston College
MS, Wallace E. Carroll School of Management, Boston College
BA, Earlham College, Departmental and College Honors
Professional Publications & Contributions
- 2014-present Associate Professor, Management and Marketing, UMASS Boston
- 2007-2014 Assistant Professor, Management and Marketing, UMASS Boston
- 2008-2012 Affiliated Faculty, Center for Medical Simulation
- 1996-1998 Associate Director, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
- 1994-1996 Research Associate, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School
- 1993-1994 Research Associate and Junior Mediator, J.A.M.S./Endispute
- 1991-1992 Labor Case Administrator, American Arbitration Association
My research focuses on the connections among social, economic and regional dynamics in creative industries. I am particularly interested in how networks at one level of analysis (e.g., among individuals) affect the structure of networks at higher levels of analysis (e.g., among organizations and industry sectors). My early research identified how nightclub talent buyers use their social networks to manage the uncertainties and risks associated with booking bands. I wrote the first academic history of Boston hip-hop and conduced a benchmark study on the local film and television industry which was funded by a Creative Economy Initiatives Grant from the University of Massachusetts. In 2014, I launched the Massachusetts Hip Hop archive with the Special Collections at UMASS Boston and worked with the Massachusetts Cultural Council on an evaluation of the Adams Arts Program.
Professional and Service Activities
Honors College, Steering Committee Member, 2014-present
CAPS, Steering Committee Member, 2014-present
Occasional reviewer for the Academy of Management (OMT), National Science Foundation, Organization Studies, Field Methods, Journal of Management History, Human Organization, Journal of Organizational Behavior, Regional Studies, Poetics. 15 years of experience providing consulting, training and research services to private, public and not-for-profit organizations including Massachusetts Cultural Council, IBM, Partners Health Care, The Center for Medical Simulation, The Program of Instruction for Lawyers at Harvard Law School, Polaroid Corp., Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, Syncline Inc. and Changewise
Honors and Grants
- 2014 Supporting Evaluation Planning and Methodologies for the John and Abigail Adams Arts Program. Massachusetts Cultural Council, Boston, MA.
- 2011 Lecco’s Lemma’s rap tapes: An aural history of the birth of rap music in Boston. President’s Creative Economy Initiatives Grant, University of Massachusetts.
- 2009 Electronic gaming in Massachusetts: Proposal for a baseline study and industry analysis. President’s Creative Economy Initiatives Grant, University of Massachusetts.
- 2009 Betty Diener Teaching Award, University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA.
- 2008 Study on the film industry and its economic impact in Massachusetts. President’s Creative Economy Initiatives Grant, University of Massachusetts.
- 2008 Learning can be del.icio.us: Using social tagging to facilitate asynchronous research collaboration in undergraduate management courses. Educational Technology Teaching Grant, University of Massachusetts, Boston, MA.
- 2002 Graduate Research Fellowship, Program on Negotiation, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, MA.