Students who have a major other than Management are eligible to complete a minor in management within the College of Management. There are many majors in the College of Liberal Arts, College of Science and Mathematics, or College of Nursing and Health Sciences, among others, that would be complemented by the management minor. Information Technology majors within the College of Management are also eligible to complete a minor in management.
Students must apply for and be accepted to the management minor.
Students should complete the minor application to apply for the minor and submit it to the College of Management Undergraduate Program Office (M-5-610) between January 1 – March 1 and June 1 – October 1.
The following criteria must be met to be accepted into the management minor:
- Completion of MATH 134
- Completion of a course or courses covering introductory descriptive and inferential statistics (e.g., MATH 125, ECON 205, PSYCH 270, SOCIOL 350)
- Completion of 24 credits, of which at least 12 are completed at UMass Boston
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 with no incompletes on the UMass Boston record
Students will not be accepted into the Management Minor if all requirements are not met.
Requirements for the Management Minor
Students must complete seven courses (21 credits) for the management minor. Normally non CM students are limited to certain courses and only 18 credits in the College of Management, however accepted minors will be able to complete the requirements below.
FOUR REQUIRED COURSES
- AF 210 Financial Accounting (prerequisite: 30 credits)
- BC 290 Professional Written Communication and Critical Analysis Students must place into this course via the College of Management Writing Assessment
- MGT 303 Managing Organizations (prerequisites: BC 290, MATH 134, and 60 credits)
- MSIS 110 Introduction to Computers and Information Science
CHOOSE TWO OF THESE FOUR MANAGEMENT CORE COURSES:
- AF 211 Managerial Accounting (prerequisites: AF 210 and 30 credits)
- AF 301 Financial Management (prerequisites: AF 211, MATH 134, and 60 credits)
- MSIS 301 Operations Management (prerequisites: MSIS 110, MSIS 111, MATH 134, and 60 credits)
- MKT 301 Principles of Marketing (prerequisites: BC 290, MATH 134, and 60 credits)
SELECT ONE ADDITIONAL 300 or 400-LEVEL CM COURSE FOR WHICH ALL PRE-REQUISITES ARE MET.
Good Standing in the Minor
To have the Minor listed on the official transcript, students must maintain a 2.0 average in the minor and receive no more than one D in the minor. The minor must be completed in the College of Management; a maximum of six transfer credits (2 courses) may be applied toward completion of the minor. Students dismissed from the minor for academic reasons may not appeal the decision or be readmitted to the minor.
- No course in the College of Management may be taken on a pass/fail basis.
- Minors are strongly advised to take ECON 101 and ECON 102
- Typically, non-management students may take only six courses (18 credits) of coursework in the College of Management. However, students accepted into the minor may take seven courses (21 credits) to satisfy the minor.
- It is highly recommended that any student considering the Management Minor seek regular advising in the University Advising Center or from an advisor in their college.