Faculty & Staff
Mario A Muñoz, PhD
- Lecturer, Department of Exercise and Health Sciences
- 617.287.3978 Telephone:
- Mario.Munoz@umb.edu Email:
100 Morrissey Blvd. Office Location: S-03-07
Areas of Expertise
Physical Activity Measurement, Research Methods, Fitness and Wellness, Physical Activity in Childhood, Childhood Obesity in Latino Populations, Developmental Coordination Disorders (DCD)
PhD, Rehabilitation Sciences, Boston University
MS, Exercise Science, Northern Michigan University
BA, Physical Education, University of Puerto Rico
Professional Publications & Contributions
Professor Muñoz’s research interests focus on physical activity and fitness levels in Latino children. His current work examines the determinants for participation in physical activity and sedentary behaviors of Latino children.
Fitness and Wellness, Research Methods, Exercise and Aging, Pediatric Exercise, Exercise Physiology, Exercise Physiology for Chronic Diseases, Exercise Physiology for Athletic Performance
- Current line of research - Examine the extent to which health related fitness, skill-related fitness components, self-efficacy toward physical activity, motor coordination and acculturation levels predict physical activity participation and sedentary behaviors in Latino children of Latino sub-groups, specifically children of Caribbean Latino backgrounds (e.g., Puerto Ricans and Dominicans).
- Prospective line of research - Study how the modification of correlates of physical activity can be use to develop better population-based health prevention programs and policies directed to specific groups of Latino individuals.
Awards and Accomplishments
- American College of Sports Medicine’s Leadership & Diversity Training Program Fellowship. 2010-2011, 2011-2012 and 2016-2017
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)/Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Program – Poster/Oral Presentation Travel Award
- Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences’ Dudley Allen Research Grant
- Boston University’s Science Day Sargent College Dean’s Award – Award for poster presented at Annual Research Symposium at Boston University