Faculty & Staff
Mario Muñoz, MS, ScD (ABD)
- Lecturer, Department of Exercise and Health Sciences
- 617.287.3978 Telephone:
- Mario.Munoz@umb.edu Email:
100 Morrissey Blvd. Office Location: S-03-07
Areas of Expertise
Physical Activity Measurement, Research Methods, Fitness and Wellness, Exercise and Aging, Childhood Obesity in Hispanic Populations, Motor Coordination Problems
ScD(c), Boston University (Rehabilitation Sciences)
MS, Northern Michigan University (Exercise Science)
BA, University of Puerto Rico (Physical Education)
Professional Publications & Contributions
Professor Munoz’s research interests focus on physical activity and fitness levels in children with motor coordination problems. His current work examines the association between motor coordination problems, particularly Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), fitness levels, and the perception of competence towards physical activity of Hispanic children.
Fitness and Wellness, Research Methods, Exercise and Aging, Pediatric Exercise
- Current line of research - Examine the extent to which health related fitness, skill-related fitness components, self-efficacy toward physical activity, motor coordination and acculturation levels predict physical activity participation and sedentary behaviors in Latino children of Latino sub-groups, specifically children of Caribbean Latino backgrounds (i.e. Puertorican, and Dominicans).
- Prospective line of research - Study how the modification of correlates of physical activity can be use to develop better population-based health prevention programs and policies directed to specific groups of Latino individuals.
Awards and Accomplishments
- American College of Sports Medicine’s 2011-2012 Leadership & Diversity Training Program Fellowship
- American College of Sports Medicine’s 2010-2011 Leadership & Diversity Training Program Fellowship
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)/Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Program – Poster/Oral Presentation Travel Award
- Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences’ Dudley Allen Research Grant
- Boston University’s Science Day Sargent College Dean’s Award – Award for poster presented at Annual Research Symposium at Boston University