All applicants are required to submit an essay of intent, at least two sealed references from professionals who can attest to the applicant’s ability, sealed transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, and copies of the applicant’s nursing license, certification (if applicable), and resume.
In addition to the general admission requirements, applicants to the PhD Program in Nursing will meet these specific criteria for admission:
- Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited program (BS-to-PhD)
- Master’s degree in Nursing or related field from an accredited program (MS-to-PhD)
- Current Massachusetts Registered Nurse license or eligibility for licensure in Massachusetts
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test. Both GPA and GRE scores must demonstrate strong verbal, quantitative, and analytical potential.
Special Instructions for PhD Program in Nursing Applicants
Applicants are required to write, in place of the statement of interest and intent, an essay of no more than 1,500 words, addressing the following:
- Specific interest in either Health Policy or Population Health
- Rationale/basis for interest in pursuing a PhD in Nursing
- Current major research and policy or population health interests in nursing/healthcare
- Description of professional post-PhD goals with relevance to health policy or population health
Candidates are required to schedule an interview with the Program Director or her/his designate as part of the application process. Out-of-state candidates can be interviewed by phone.
In addition to the general admissions requirements, international students must take both the TOEFL exam and IELTS exam and meet the minimum score requirements. For additional information on the international student application process, please refer to the “Special Instructions” section in your application.
Applications must be received no later than March 31st for Fall admission. Apply online.
Checking on Application Status
The Chair of the Graduate Admissions Committee will inform applicants of their admission to the program. Following admission, students are advised to contact the Program Director for advisement and a program of study.