National League for Nursing (NLN) Examinations
What is an NLN Examination?
The National League for Nursing Examinations (NLN Exams) are available to registered nurses who do not have individual course credit in Pharmacology, Nutrition, Microbiology or Anatomy & Physiology I & II. Students who successfully complete an NLN exam with a score of 74% or greater will receive 3 transfer credits for that exam. Students will receive their score at the end of the exam. Those students who pass with a 74% or higher will have their Degree Audits updated within 72 hours of taking the exam. All students should check their degree audits to make sure the credit has been reflected.
All NLN Exams offered at the University of Massachusetts Boston are timed computerized exams. Students are allowed up to 90 minutes to complete 75 multiple choice questions in each NLN exam. Calculators will be permitted for Pharmacology Exams only.
How do I register for an NLN Exam?
UMass Boston Students ONLY must create an account with the National League for Nursing before registering for any of the NLN Exams.
To download your instructions on how to create an account and then register : Please click here
How do I know if I need to take an NLN Exam?
Not all UMass Boston students need to complete an NLN Examination. If you have successfully completed (with a letter grade of C or higher) any of the following courses at an accredited academic institution, you may receive this as a transfer credit.
- 4-credit course in Anatomy & Physiology I
- 4-credit course in Anatomy & Physiology II
- 4-credit course in Microbiology
- 3-credit course in Nutrition
- 3-credit course in Pharmacology
If you are unsure if you need to take an NLN Exam please check your degree audit through WISER or contact your Program Advisor. You may log on to WISER here. Click here if you have issues logging into WISER.
Please note: When performing a degree audit, always select "Run New Audit" for the most current information available. Please click here for a tutorial on running your UMass Boston degree audit.
NLN Examination Dates Administered at Cape Cod Community College
|Registration Deadline||Exam Dates||Exam Times|
Click Here: Schedule Cape NLN Exam
NLN Examination Dates Administered at UMass Boston
|Registration Deadline||Exam Dates||Exam times|
|7/28/2017||Tuesday, August 1, 2017||1:00 PM-3:00 PM|
|8/15/2017||Friday, August 18, 2017||9:30 AM-11:30 AM|
|9/15/2017||Wednesday, September 20, 2017||10:00 AM-12:00 PM|
|9/25/2017||Thursday, September 28, 2017||2:00 PM-4:00 PM|
Future exam dates to be posted each semester.
Click Here: Schedule an NLN Exam
NLN Exam Cancellation Policy
The following is the College of Nursing and Health Sciences' Cancelation Policy for NLN Exams:
- Cancelations must be received via email to Belinda Clanton, Program Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 business hours prior to your scheduled exam otherwise Students will be responsible for the full $100 fee.
- Students who miss their Exams will be marked as a "no show" and will be required to pay the full fee amount of $100.
- Any student attempting to register for an NLN Exam with an outstanding balance for missed exam(s) will be dropped from the roster until all fees are paid in full.
- Students who register multiple times for NLN Exams will be subject to the same cancelation policy stated above.
What if I do not obtain a passing score on my NLN Exam?
If a student does not receive a score of 74 or greater they will not receive credit for that exam. Students are allowed to take each type of NLN Exam a maximum of two times. If you do not pass the exam on the second attempt, the student will then be required to take the course. The National League of Nursing asks that students wait at least three months before retaking an NLN Exam but it is up to the student’s discretion.
Please note: There will be no reimbursement of the $100.00 NLN Exam fee after a student has taken an exam.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Beginning September 1, 2016, the passing score for all NLN Exams will be 74% or higher. We will no longer be using an Overall Percentile Ranking System. We feel this will cut down on student confusion.
Study Guide Information for NLN Exams
There is no official study guide offered by the National League of Nursing for any type of NLN Exam. Students who have successfully completed the Pharmacology and Nutrition NLN Examinations indicated that the questions included on the Examinations are similar to those on the NCLEX Examination. It may be useful to obtain an NCLEX review textbook, a Nursing Pharmacology review textbook or a Diet Therapy/Applied Nutrition review textbook.
ADA Special Accommodations
Any student requiring disability-related accommodations for a NLN Exam should contact Ross Center for Disability Services at least four weeks prior to the NLN exam date registration deadline.
- RN-BS Program Information Session PowerPoint
- Before Summer 2017 Advising Sheet
- Starting Fall 2017 Advising Sheet
- Before Summer 2017 Pre-Requisite Flyer
- Starting Fall 2017 Pre-Requisite Flyer
- NLN Exam Fact Sheet Flyer
- Create NLN Exam Account
- Clinical Placement FAQ’s for NU461 - Community Health Nursing for RN's
- 2013-2015* Undergraduate Nursing Student Handbook
- Center for Clinical Education and Research (CCER)
- Harbor Reflections