Transferring Credits to the Program
Transferring Credits from Other Colleges
The RN-BS degree in nursing is designed to minimize the time required for students to complete the degree. Therefore, the program accepts up to the maximum transfer and/or equivalency credits allowable under university policies. (Thirty of the total 120 credits must be taken at UMass Boston; see Degree Requirements.)
Courses should transfer to UMass Boston under the following conditions:
- Health Science, Statistics and General Education Elective Courses may be a C or higher to receive transfer credits. Human Growth and Development through the Lifespan Growth must also be a grade of C or higher. A Course Description and Syllabus may be required to prove the course covers from Conception to Death for credit.
For questions regarding transfer credits, please refer to Undergraduate Admissions at 617.287.6100 or the Transfer Credit Webpage.
UMass Boston has articulation agreements with two Massachusetts two-year colleges to facilitate easy transfer of comparable credits. If you attended one of these colleges, you should ask for detailed information at an upcoming Information Session.
- Cape Cod Community College
- Quincy College
We award 42 credits for your Nursing Licensure Education - After newly admitted students attend "New Student Orientation" 42 Nursing Credits will be applied to the student record
Health Science and Statistics Prerequisites - Prior to entering the third course in the program, students must fulfill the health science prerequisites listed below and on the RN-BS Advising Sheet. These may be fulfilled through transfer credit, enrollment in an online or in-person course at UMass Boston, or equivalent NLN Examination. (NOTE: These are NOT prerequisites for admission to the RN-BS Program; click here for admission requirements.)
- Microbiology (4 credits, including lab)
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II (4 credits each, incl. lab)
- Human Growth and Development Through the Lifespan (3 credits)
There are two additional prerequisites which must be fulfilled before entering NU362:
- Human Growth & Development Across the Lifespan (3 credits) - can be fulfilled by transfer credit, CLEP examination, or course enrollment at UMass Boston
- Statistics (3 credits) - can be fulfilled by transfer credit or course enrollment at UMass Boston.
 [beacon_beginnings] Beacon Beginnings  [cnhs_in_top_50_rankings] CNHS Graduate Nursing Program among Nation’s Best
Are You Eligible for Online Nursing Studies ?
If you are not a Massachusetts resident and considering applying to an online nursing program, please check out the following link for details:
Giving to UMass Boston
Help RN nurses receive a BS degree with a gift to the RN-BS Nursing Program.