Transferring Credits to the Program
Transferring Credits from Other Colleges
The RN-BS degree in Nursing is designed to minimize the time required for students to complete the degree. Therefore, the program accepts up to the maximum transfer and/or equivalency credits allowable under University policies. (Thirty of the total 123 credits must be taken at UMass Boston; see Degree Requirements.)
Courses should transfer to UMass Boston under the following conditions:
- Pre-requisite statistics and health science courses, including Lifespan Growth & Development, which have received a grade of C+ or higher.
- General education and elective courses which have received a grade of C- or higher.
For questions regarding Transfer Credits, please refer to Undergraduate Admissions at 617-287-6100 or the Transfer Credit Webpage.
UMass Boston has articulation agreements with seven Massachusetts two-year colleges to facilitate easy transfer of comparable credits. If you attended one of these Colleges, you should ask for detailed information at an upcoming Information Session.
- Bunker Hill Community College
- Cape Cod Community College
- Laboure College
- Mass Bay Community College
- Massasoit Community College
- Quincy College
- Roxbury Community College
We award 42 credits for your Nursing Licensure Education
Health Science and Statistics Prerequisites
Prior to entering the third course in the program, students must fulfill the health science prerequisites listed below and on the RN-BS Advising Sheet. These may be fulfilled through transfer credit, enrollment in an online or in-person course at UMass Boston, or equivalent NLN Examination. (NOTE: These are NOT prerequisites for admission to the RN-BS Program; click here for admission requirements.)
- Microbiology (4 credits, including lab)
- Anatomy & Physiology I and II (4 credits each, incl. lab)
- Pharmacology (3 credits)
- Nutrition (3 credits)
There are two additional prerequisites which must be fulfilled before entering NU362:
- Human Growth & Development Across the Lifespan (3 credits) - can be fulfilled by transfer credit, CLEP examination, or course enrollment at UMass Boston
- Statistics (3 credits) - can be fulfilled by transfer credit or course enrollment at UMass Boston.
Have you been admitted as an undergraduate to UMass Boston? Be sure to join us for Beacon Beginnings this summer. Read More
CNHS Graduate Nursing Program among Nation’s Best
According to U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Graduate Schools 2015,” our graduate nursing program is no. 41 in the country. Read More