Harbor Point Outreach Partnership volunteers facilitate a variety of enrichment classes for youth at the Walter Denney Youth Center. After-school tutoring and mentoring and in-class teacher assistance are offered throughout the school year, while other enrichment activities and clubs change depending on the interests of students and mentors. New ideas for classes are welcome.
After-school Tutoring and Mentoring
Trained volunteers provide homework help and tutoring in all subject areas for boys and girls ages 6–18 at the Walter Denney Youth Center at the Harbor Point Apartment Community. Sessions are usually either one-on-one or in small groups.
We currently have volunteer openings for:
- Elementary school tutoring and cultural enrichment programs from 3:30-5:30 weekdays
- Teen tutoring and youth groups between 6:30-8:30, Monday-Thursday
- Elementary in-school tutoring between 9am-4pm, Monday-Friday
- Apply today!
In-class Teacher Assistance
During the school day, volunteers also work closely with teachers to provide in-class assistance and expanded tutoring for students in grades K–8 at the Dever-McCormack School. We also work with the family outreach worker and provide assistance in Positive Youth Development and civic engagement groups. Apply today!
Teen Philosophy Class
Volunteers primarily from the UMass Boston Philosophy Club facilitate discussions, provide videos, lead field trips, supply reading materials, and philosophize with teenagers.(Become a Volunteer)
Our Volunteers Lead Youth Clubs, including:
- Healthy Cooking Class - Elementary school students, ages 8–12 make easy, healthy recipes; work as a team; use reading and math skills; and learn about different cultures.
- Math Club - Elementary school children ages 8–12 discover that math is fun and relevant through games and field trips that build math knowledge and skills.
- Creative Writing Club - Graduate students in the UMass Boston Creative Writing Program mentor creative writing for high-school juniors and seniors and essay writing for elementary school children ages 10–12.
- Become a Volunteer
Volunteer-driven Community Events include:
- Martin Luther King Day Celebration
- Good Neighbor Day
- Become a Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering or lending support for Harbor Point Outreach Partnership programs or in working with any of the UMass Boston programs, please use the application form or contact:
JOAN ARCHES, Professor of Human Services and Youth Work
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, Massachusetts 02125-3393