How to Apply
Application Procedure for the MS in Human Services program:
1. Fill out the Graduate Admissions Application available online at https://www.umb.edu/admissions/grad
2. Complete statement of interests and intent. Please write a two-part essay and submit it with your application. In part 1 (no more than 300 words), state your reason for wishing to attend graduate school. In part 2 (at least 1,200 words), indicate your specific interests, and the kind of work you would like to do in your intended field. Please address the specific reasons for your interest in human services.
3. Submit scores for the Graduate Record Examination or the Miller Analogies Test. (Requirement waived only if you hold a graduate degree from a U.S. university.)
Graduate Record Examination 1.609.771.7670 www.ets.org/gre
Miller Analogies Test 1.800.622.3231 www.milleranalogies.com
4. Obtain official transcripts showing completion of bachelor's degree and forward them to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Boulevard
Boston, MA 02125-3393
If an official transcript is not available at the time of your application, please submit an unofficial copy while ordering official transcripts from your undergraduate college or university.
5. Provide 3 letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with your work, at least one of whom is from a supervisor currently working with you in a professional context. Use the forms included with the application.
6. Provide a resume of professional activities that demonstrates substantial practical experience (paid or volunteer) in public or community service.
7. Include with your application and required materials (see procedures 2-6) a nonrefundable application fee of $60 (for domestic applicants) or $100 (international applicants). Please make your payment by check or money order, payable to UMass Boston.
Send the originals of your application and required materials to the Office of Graduate Admissions.
When an application is complete, including all required credentials and documents (for example, transcripts, test scores, recommendations), a decision will be made within two weeks.
For questions about the application process, contact Sylvia Mignon at 617.287.7384 or firstname.lastname@example.org.