Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Mechanisms of Mutagenesis and Genomic Instability in Human Cells
ScD, Harvard University, Radiation Biology (1982)
MS, Harvard University, Radiation Biology (1979)
AB, Boston University, Biology (1975)
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Grosovsky, A.J. and J.B.Little, Evidence for linear induction of mutations in human cells by X-ray exposures of 1-10 rads, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 82: 2092-2095, (1985)
- Grosovsky, A.J., Drobetsky, E.A., deJong, P.J., and B.W. Glickman, Southern analysis of gamma ray induced alterations in APRT- hamster cell mutants, Genetics, 113: 405-415, (1986)
- Grosovsky, A.J., deBoer, J.G., Drobetsky, E.A., and B.W. Glickman, Base substitutions, frameshifts and small deletions comprise ionizing radiation induced point mutations in mammalian cells, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A., 85: 185-188 (1988)
- deJong,P.J., Grosovsky,A.J., and B.W. Glickman, Spectrum of spontaneous mutation at the aprt locus of CHO cells Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A., 85: 3499-3503 (1988)
- Ward, M. A., Yu, M., Glickman, B. W. and A. J. Grosovsky. Loss of heterozygosity in mammalian cell mutagenesis: Molecular analysis of spontaneous mutations at the aprt locus in CHO cells. Carcinogenesis 11:1485-1490. (1990)
- Grosovsky, A.J., Walter, B. W. and C.R. Giver, DNA Sequence Specificity of Mutations at the Human Thymidine Kinase Locus, Mutation Res. 289: 231-243 (1993)
- Smith, L. E., and Grosovsky, A. J., Evidence for High Frequency Allele Loss at the aprt Locus in TK6 Human Lymphoblasts, Mutation Res. 289: 245-254 (1993)
- Giver, C.R., Nelson, S. L., and A. J. Grosovsky,Spectrum of Spontaneous HPRT- Mutations in TK6 Human Lymphoblasts, Env. Molec. Mutagenesis 22: 138-146 (1993)
- Smith, L.E., and Grosovsky, A.J., Genetic Instability on Chromosome 16 in a Human Lymphoblastoid Cell Line, Somatic Cell Molec. Genet. 19: 515-527 (1993)
- Nelson, S.L, Giver, C.R. and Grosovsky, A.J. Spectrum of X-Ray induced Mutations in the Human hprt Gene, Carcinogenesis 15: 495-502 (1994)
- Nelson, S.L., Jones, I.M., Fuscoe, J., and A. J. Grosovsky, Mapping the Endpoints of Large Deletions Affecting the hprt Locus in Human Peripheral Blood Cells and Cell Lines., Radiation Research 141: 2-10, (1995)
- Dobo, K.L., Eastmond, D.A., Rumbos, H.S., Giver, C.R., and A.J. Grosovsky,Extensive Loss of Heterozygosity Accounts for Differential Mutation Rate on Chromosome 17q in Human Lymphoblasts., Mutagenesis 10: 53-58 (1995)
- Giver, C. R., Nelson, S. L., Pongsaensook, P., and A. J. Grosovsky, Mutational Spectra of Spontaneous and X-Ray Induced TK- Human Cell Mutants, Carcinogenesis 16: 267-275 (1995)
- Nelson, S., Parks, K., Grosovsky, A. Ionizing Radiation Signature Mutations in Human Cell Mutants Induced by Low Dose Exposures. Mutagenesis, 11: 275-279 (1996)
- Grosovsky, A., Parks, K., Giver, C., and Nelson, S. Clonal Analysis of Delayed Karyotypic Abnormalities and Gene Mutations in Radiation Induced Genetic Instability. Molecular and Cellular Biology 16:6252-6262 (1996)
- Pongsaensook, P., Smith, L.E., and Grosovsky, A.J. Isolation of an APRT Heterozygote from TK6 Human Lymphoblasts: Predominance of Multi-Locus Loss of Heterozygosity among Spontaneous APRT- Mutants. Mutation Res. 377: 27-36 (1997)
- Giver, C.R., and A. J. Grosovsky, Single and Coincident Intragenic Mutations Attributable to Gene Conversion in a Human Cell Line, Genetics,146: 1429-1439 (1997)
- Sasaki, J.C., Arey, J., Eastmond, D.A., Parks, K.K., and Grosovsky, A.J. Genotoxicity Induced in Human Lymphoblasts by Atmospheric Reaction Products of Naphthalene and Phenanthrene. Mutation Res.,393:23-35 (1997)
- Dobo, K.L., Eastmond, D.A., and A.J. Grosovsky, The Influence of Cellular Apoptotic Capacity on N-Nitrosodimethylamine-Induced Loss of Heterozygosity Mutations in Human Cells., Carcinogenesis, 18:1701-1707 (1997)
- Dobo, K.L., Eastmond, D.A., and A.J. Grosovsky, Sequence Specific Mutations Induced by N-Nitrosodimethylamine at Two Marker Loci in Metabolically Competent Human Lymphoblastoid Cells. Carcinogenesis 19:755-764 (1998)
- Smith, L.E., Parks, K., Hasegawa, L., Eastmond, D.A. and Grosovsky, A.J. Breakage of Pericentromeric Heterochromatin is a Potent Inducer of Chromosomal Instability. Mutagenesis 13:435-443 (1998)
- Fry, R.J.M., Grosovsky, A.J.,. Hanawalt, P.C, Jostes, R.F., Little, J.B., Morgan, W.F., Oleinick, N.L., Ullrich, R.L., The Impact of Biology on Risk Assessment – Workshop of the National Research Council and the Board of Radiation Effects Research, Radiation Research 150:695 (1998)
- Grosovsky, AJ. Radiation-induced mutations in unirradiated DNA. Proc. Nat’l. Acad. Sci., USA 96:5346-5347 (1999)
- Smith, H.M., and Grosovsky, A.J., PolyADP-Ribose Mediated Regulation of Complexed p53 and Topoisomerase I Following Ionizing Radiation, Carcinogenesis 20: 1439-1444. (1999)
- Sasaki, J.C., Arey, J., Eastmond, D.A., Parks, K.K., Phousongphouang, P., and Grosovsky, A.J. Evidence for oxidative metabolism in the genotoxicity of the atmospheric reaction product 2-nitronaphthalene in human lymphoblastoid cell lines, Mutation Research 445: 113-125. (1999)
- Giver, C.R. and Grosovsky, A.J., Radiation Specific Patterns of Loss of Heterozygosity on Chromosome 17q. Mutation Research 450: 201-209 (2000)
- Meng, Q., Grosovsky, A.J., Shi, X., and Walker, V.E., Mutagenicity and loss of heterozygosity at the APRT locus in human lymphoblastoid cells exposed to 3’-azido-3’-deoxythymidine. Mutagenesis 15: 405-410 (2000)
- Quintana, PJ; Neuwirth, EA; Grosovsky, AJ. Interchromosomal gene conversion at an endogenous human cell locus. Genetics 158:757-67 (2001)
- Pongsaensook, P., Ritter, L.E., Parks, K.K., and Grosovsky, A.J. Cis-acting transmission of genomic instability. Mutation Research 568:49-68. (2004)
- Moore, S.R., Ritter, L.E., Gibbons, C.F., Grosovsky, A.J. Spontaneous and radiation-induced genomic instability in human cell lines differing in cellular TP35 status. Radiation Research 164:357-68. (2005)
- Stephen R. Moore, David Papworth, and Andrew J. Grosovsky. Non-Random Distribution of Instability-Associated Chromosomal Rearrangement Breakpoints in Human Lymphoblastoid Cells. Mutation Research 2006 600:113-24 (2006)
- Efrem A. H. Neuwirth, and Andrew J. Grosovsky. Interchromosomal Crossing-over in Human Cells is Associated with Long Gene Conversion Tracts. Mol. Cell Biol 27:5261-74 (2007)
- Rebecca N. Allen, Linda E. Ritter, and Andrew J. Grosovsky, Generation of Persistent Genomic Instability by Stable Transfection with Alpha or Classical Satellite DNA. DNA Repair, In revision following review (2008)
- Vice Provost, Undergraduate Education, University of California, Riverside (2004-2007).
- Assistant, Associate, Full Professor, Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside (1989-2007).
- Vice Provost, University of California, Riverside (2004-2007).
- Professor, University of California, Riverside (1999-2007).
- Associate Professor, University of California, Riverside (1995-1999).
- Assistant Professor, University of California, Riverside (1989-1995).
- Assistant Professor, York University (1986-1988).
- Research Associate, York University (1984-1986).
- Research Fellow, Harvard School of Public Health (1982-1984).
- Research Assistant, Harvard Medical School (1975-1977).