Faculty & Staff
John Ebersole, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology - Effects of Natural Events and Human Activities on Structure of Coral Reef Fish.
Areas of Expertise
Effects of Natural Events and Human Activities on Structure of Coral Reef Fishes
PhD, University of California, Los Angeles, 1977.
BS, Cornell University, 197l.
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Woods, W.A. Jr., C.A.L. Wood, J. Ebersole, and R.D. Stevenson. 2010. Metabolic Rate Variation over Adult Lifetime in the Butterfly Vanessa cardui (Nymphalidae: Nymphalinae): Aging, Feeding, and Repeatability. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 83(5): 858-868.
- Beck, G., R. Miller, and J. Ebersole. 2009. “Significance Of Immunological Responses in The Black-Spined Sea Urchin, Diadema antillarum, To Caribbean-Wide Mass Mortality.” Proceedings of the 11th International Coral Reefs Symposium. Fort Lauderdale, FL. July 2008.
- Lawrence, C., J. Ebersole, and R. Kesseli. 2008. Rapid growth and out-crossing promote female development in Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Environmental Biology of Fishes 81(2):239-246
- Miller, R.J. A.J. Adams, J.P. Ebersole, and E. Ruiz. 2007. Evidence for positive density-dependent effects in recovering Diadema antillarum populations. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 349: 215-222.
- Forman Orth, J., M. Gammon, F. Abdul-Basir, R. D. Stevenson, D. Tsirelson, J. Ebersole., S. Speak, R. Kesseli. 2006. Natural history, distribution, and management of Lepidium latifolium (Brassicaceae) in New England. Rhodora: 108: 103-118.
- Goranson, N.C., J.P. Ebersole, and S. Brault. 2005. Resolving an adaptive conundrum: reproduction in Caenorhabditis elegans is NOT sperm-limited when food is scarce. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7: 325-333.
- Adams, A.J. and J.P. Ebersole. 2004. Influences on recruitment of coral reef fishes inferred from spatial distributions in back-reef and lagoon habitats. Bulletin of Marine Science 75: IN PRESS.
- Adams, A.J. and J.P. Ebersole. 2004. Resistance of coral reef fishes of back-reef and lagoon habitats to a hurricane. Bulletin of Marine Science 75(1): IN PRESS
- Adams, A.J., R.J. Miller, J.P. Ebersole. 2004. Tethers make juvenile surgeonfish (Acanthuridae) vulnerable to attacks by benthic invertebrates. Bulletin of Marine Science 74: 207-211.
- Miller, R.J., A.J. Adams, N.B. Ogden, J.C. Ogden, and J.P. Ebersole. 2003. Diadema antillarum 17 years after mass mortality: is recovery beginning on St. Croix? Coral Reefs 22: 181-187.
- Experimental and comparative studies of adaptive strategies, particularly territoriality and heterospecific foraging aggregation in coral reef fishes.
- Theoretical problems in community structure, empirical study of niche relationships and species diversity in coral reef fishes as determined by adult interactions and planktonic events, and the intra- and interspecific interactions of temperate hermit crabs, their predators, and their ectosymbionts
- The process of acidification in ponds of Southeastern Massachusetts and its effect on pond biota, especially the age structure of centrarchid fish populations.