Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
PhD, Biochemistry, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
MS, Biochemistry, University of Michigan Ann Arbor
BA, Chemistry, Augsburg College Minneapolis
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Campbell, KL (1977) Metabolic interactions of hormonal steroids and chlorinated hydrocarbons ‑ Effects of neonatal treatment with o,p'-DDT on the development of the steroidogenic endocrine system of the male rat. PhD Dissertation, University of Michigan. Published as EPA‑600/1‑77‑042. Environmental Health Effects Research Series, Health Effects Research Laboratory, ORD, US EPA, RTP, NC.
- Campbell, KL (1979) Ovarian granulosa cells isolated with EGTA and hypertonic sucrose: cellular integrity and function, Biol Reprod 21:773-786.
- Landefeld, TD, KL Campbell, AR Midgley (1979) Rapid hCG-induced changes in the synthesis of specific ovarian granulosa cell proteins, Proc Natl Acad Sci 76:5153-5157.
- Campbell, KL, P Bagavandoss, JA Jonassen, TD Landefeld, MC Rao, JS Richards, AR Midgley (1979) Gonadotropin induction of granulosa cell luteinization. In Ontogeny of Receptors and Mode of Action of Reproductive Hormones, TH Hamilton, JL Clark, WA Sadler (ed), Raven Press, New York.
- Midgley, AR, KL Campbell, TD Landefeld (1979) Development of ovarian responsiveness: follicle maturation and luteinization. Adv Biosci 25. A Kaye, M Kaye (ed), Pergamon Press, New York:149 -163.
- Campbell, KL, TD Landefeld, AR Midgley, Jr (1980) Differential processing of subunits of human chorionic gonadotropin by granulosa cells in vivo, Proc Natl Acad Sci 77:4793-4797.
- Campbell, KL, DF Albertini (1981) Freeze-fracture analysis of gap junction disruption and reformation in granulosa cells, Tissue and Cell 13:651-668.
- Landefeld, TD, MD Byrne, KL Campbell, AR Midgley (1981) Differential processing of the two subunits of human choriogonadotropin (hCG) by granulosa cells. I. Preparation and characterization of selectively labeled human choriogonadotropin, Endocrinology 109:1851-1857.
- Campbell, KL, P Bagavandoss, MD Byrne, JA Jonassen, TD Landefeld, MW Quasney, MM Sanders, AR Midgley (1981) Differential processing of the two subunits of human choriogonadotropin (hCG) by granulosa cells. II. In vivo studies, Endocrinology 109:1858-1871.
- Wood, JW, PL Johnson, KL Campbell (1985) Demographic and endocrinological aspects of low natural fertility in highland New Guinea, J Biosoc Sci 17:57-79.
- Wood, JW, PL Johnson, D Lai, I Maslar, KL Campbell (1985) Lactation and birth‑spacing in highland New Guinea, J Biosoc Sci Suppl 9:159-173.
- Campbell, KL (1985) Monitoring ovarian function and predicting ovulation: summary of a meeting, Research Frontiers in Fertility Regulation 3:1-16.
- Johnson, P, J Wood, K Campbell, I Maslar (1987) Long ovarian cycles in women of highland New Guinea, Hum Biol 59:837‑845.
- Campbell, K, J Wood (1988) Fertility in traditional societies. In Natural Human Fertility: Social and Biological Determinants, P Diggory, M Potts, S Teper (ed), Macmillan Press Ltd, London, 39-69.
- Campbell, KL (1988) Solid-state assays: reagents and film technology for dip‑stick assays. In Non‑Radiometric Assays: Technology and Application in Polypeptide and Steroid Hormone Detection, B Albertson, F Haseltine (ed), Alan R Liss, New York, 237-287.
- Campbell, KL (1989) Fertility and child-spacing in preliterate societies, In Dying for Love: New Perspectives on Human Reproduction, National Council on International Health, Washington, DC, 6-12.
- Little, MA, PW Leslie, KL Campbell (1992) Energy reserves and parity of nomadic and settled Turkana women, Amer J Hum Biol, 4:729-738.
- Leslie, PW, KL Campbell, MA Little (1993) Pregnancy loss in nomadic and settled women in Turkana, Kenya: A prospective study, Hum Biol, 65:237-254.
- Campbell, KL, JW Wood, Eds (1994) Human Reproductive Ecology: Interactions of Environment, Fertility and Behavior, Annals NYAS, 709. New York Academy of Sciences: New York.
- Campbell, KL, J Wood (1994) What is human reproductive ecology and why should we care about studying it? Annals NYAS 709:1-8.
- Campbell, KL (1994) Blood, urine, saliva and dip-sticks: Experiences in Africa, New Guinea, and Boston, Annals NYAS, 709:313-331.
- Potts, M, KL Campbell (1994) Funding considerations in human reproductive ecology: summary of an evening panel discussion on sources and resources, Annals NYAS 709:347-354.
- Campbell, KL, JW Wood (1994) Human reproductive ecology: conference summary. Annals NYAS 709:426-429.
- Leslie, PW, KL Campbell, MA Little (1994) Reproductive function in nomadic and settled women of Turkana Kenya, Annals NYAS 709:218-220.
- Campbell, KL, JW Wood (1994) An introduction to quantitative endocrinology. Appendix In JW Wood Dynamics of Human Reproduction: Biology, Biometry, Demography. Hawthorne, NY: Aldine De Gruyter, 553-590.
- Holman, D, JW Wood, AM Sardar, L Nahar, N Alam, TA Chowdhury, KL Campbell (1995) Field methods of the Pennsylvania State University/International Centre for Diarrhoeal Disease Research, Bangladesh fetal loss project, Population Research Institute, Pennsylvania State University, Working Paper 95-14, 1-43.
- Holman, D, FN Rasheed, CM Stroud, KL Campbell (1995) A pregnancy test modified for field studies of fetal loss, Population Research Institute, Pennsylvania State University, Working Paper 95-10, 1-19.
- Leslie, PW, KL Campbell, MA Little, CS Kigondu (1996) Evaluation of reproductive function in Turkana women with enzyme-immunoassays of urinary hormones in the field, Hum Biol 68:95-117.
- Holman, DJ, FN Rasheed, CM Stroud, E Brindle, KA O’Connor, KL Campbell (1998) A commercial pregnancy test modified for field studies of fetal loss, Clinica Chimica Acta 271(1):25-44.
- Leslie, PW, KL Campbell, BC Campbell, CS Kigondu, LW Kirumbi (1999) Fecundity and fertility, Chapter 13 in MA Little and PW Leslie, eds. Turkana Herders of the Dry Savanna: Ecology and Biobehavioral Response of Nomads to an Uncertain Environment. Oxford Univ. Press:Oxford. 249-280.
- Campbell, KL, OC Schultheiss, DC McClelland (1999) A necessary adjustment of protocol for use of DPC coated-tube testosterone assay with saliva, Clinical Biochemistry 32(1):83-85.
- Schultheiss, OC, KL Campbell, DC McClelland (1999) Implicit power motivation moderates men's testosterone responses to imagined and real dominance success, Hormones and Behavior 36:234-241.
- Holman DJ, JW Wood, KL Campbell (2000) Age‑dependent decline of female fecundity is caused by early fetal loss. Chap. 9 in te Velde ER,Broekmans F, Pearson P, eds. Female Reproductive Ageing, Studies in Profertility Series, 9:123‑136 Carnforth, UK: Parthenon Publishing Group.
- Campbell BC, WD Lukas, KL Campbell (2001) Reproductive ecology of male immune function and gonadal function. In PT Ellison (ed) Reproductive Ecology and Human Evolution. Hawthorne, NY: Aldine De Gruyter, 159-178.
- O'Connor KA, Brindle E, Holman DJ, Klein NA, Soules MR, Campbell KL, Kohen F, Munro CJ, Shofer J, Lasley WL, Wood JW (2003) Urinary estrone conjugate and pregnanediol‑3‑glucuronide enzyme‑immunoassays for population research, Clinical Chemistry 49(7):1139-1148.
- O'Connor, KA, E Brindle, JB Shofer, RC Miller, NA Klein, MR Soules, KL Campbell, C Mar, MS Handcock (2004) Statistical correction for non-parallelism in a urinary enzyme immunoassay, Journal of Immunoassay and Immunochemistry 25(3):259-278.
- Lukas, WD, BC Campbell, KL Campbell (2005) Urinary cortisol and muscle mass in Turkana men, Am J Hum Biol, 17(4):489–495.
- Campbell, BC, PW Leslie, KL Campbell, MA Little (2005) Pubertal timing, hormones and body composition among adolescent Turkana males. Am J Phys Anthrop, 128(4):896-905.
- Campbell, B, P Leslie, KL Campbell (2006) Age-related changes in testosterone and SHBG among Turkana males, Am J Human Biology 18(1):71-82.
- Campbell, KL, JC Rockett (2006) Biomarkers of ovulation, endometrial receptivity, fertilisation, implantation and early pregnancy progression, Paediatric & Perinatal Epidemiology 20 (s1), 13-25.
- Campbell, BC, P Leslie, KL Campbell (2007) Age-related pattern of DHEAS among Turkana males of northern Kenya, The Aging Male 10(4):203-209.
2005-2008 Associate Dean of Science and Mathematics, University of Massachusetts, Boston
2002 Visiting Scholar, University of Washington, Departments of Anthropology, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Zoology, and Program for Demographic and Population Studies
1998 Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Boston
1995 Visiting Scientist, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, MIT, Cambridge
1991 Adjunct Associate Professor of Anthropology, Pennsylvania State University, State College
1988-1998 Associate Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Boston
1985 Visiting Professor, Lab. Human Reprod. & Reprod. Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston
1982-1988 Assistant Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts, Boston
1979-1982 Research Investigator, Reproductive Endocrinology Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1979-1981 Visiting Scientist, Department of Anatomy, Harvard Medical School, Boston
1976-1979 Postdoctoral Scholar, Reproductive Endocrinology Program, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
Areas of Research Interest
Interdisciplinary investigations of hormones, fetal loss, & other reproductive patterns of traditional populations
Exploration of urogenital microbe-sperm interactions predicting success or failure in fertilization, implantation, or gestation
Development of laboratory independent endocrine and genetic assay methods for field, clinic, or home use
Hormone interactions with gonadal target cells: receptors, hormone metabolism, & effects of hormone fragments