Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Deep-Sea Ecology, Biogeography
PhD, Harvard University, 1972.
AB, Indiana University, 1968.
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Brault, S., C.T. Stuart, M.C. Wagstaff and M.A. Rex. 2012. Geographic evidence for source-sink dynamics in deep-sea gastropods of the eastern North Atlantic: An approach using nested analysis. Global Ecology and Biogeography. In press.
- Rex, M.A., J.D. Chaytor and C.T. Stuart. 2012. Late Pleistocene Colus stimpsoni (Morch, 1868) from a seabed core (2520m) in the western North Atlantic. The Nautilus 126: 86-87.
- Stuart, C.T., M.A. Rex, D.P. Tittensor and C.R. Smith. 2011. Elevated species diversity in abyssal gastropods off Newfoundland: The potential role of food supply. Marine Biodiversity 41:537- 544.
- Tittensor, D.P., M.A. Rex, C.T. Stuart, C.R. McClain and C.R. Smith. 2011. Species-energy relationships in deep-sea mollusks. Biology Letters (published online 23 March 2011) doi: 10.1098/rsbl.2010.1174.
- Wei, C-L., G.T. Rowe, E. Escobar-Briones, A. Boetius, T. Soltwedel, J. Caley, Y. Soliman, F. Huettmann, F. Qu, Z. Yu, R. Pitcher, R.L. Haedrich, M.K. Wicksten, M.A. Rex, J.G. Baguley, J. Sharma, R. Danovaro, I.R. MacDonald, C.C. Nunnally, J.W. Deming, P. Montagna, M. Levesque, J.M. Weslawski, M. Wlodarska-Kowalczuk, B.S. Ingole, B.J. Bett, A. Yool, B.A. Bluhm, K. Iken, B.E. Narayanaswamy. 2010. Global patterns and predictions of seafloor biomass using random forests. PLoS ONE 5:1-15, doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0015323.
- Rex, M.A., C.T. Stuart, R.J. Etter and C.R. McClain. 2010. Biogeography of the deep-sea gastropod Oocorys sulcata Fischer, 1883. Journal of Conchology 40:287-290.
- Ebbe, B., D. Billett, A. Brandt. K. Ellingsen, A. Glover, S. Keller, M. Maluytina, P. Martinez, T. Molodtsova, M. Rex, C.Smith and A. Tselepides. 2010. Diversity of abyssal marine life. Pages 139-160, In A.D. McIntyre, editor, Life in the World’s Oceans: Diversity, Distribution and Abundance. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- Rex, M.A. and R.J. Etter. 2010. Deep-Sea Biodiversity: Pattern and Scale. Harvard University Press.
- McClain, C.R., M.A.Rex and R.J. Etter. 2009. Patterns in deep-sea macroecology. In J.D. Witman and K.Roy, editors, Marine Macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Stuart, C.T. and M.A. Rex. 2009. Bathymetric patterns of deep-sea gastropod species diversity in 10 basins of the Atlantic Ocean and Norwegian Sea. Marine Ecology 30: 164-180.
My research is centered on the ecology and evolution of deep-sea benthic communities. It includes analyses of bathymetric and global-scale patterns of biodiversity and their causes. We are using satellite imagery to examine the relationship of surface production to community structure in the deep sea at different temporal and spatial scales. Geographic variation in body size of mollusks is being explored to study adaptation to the deep-sea environment. Multivariate analyses of shell architecture and mitochondrial DNA are being employed to study patterns of population differentiation in deep-sea mollusks. Adaptive radiation and taxon cycles are being investigated by documenting patterns of taxonomic diversity. A major long-term research goal is to synthesize patterns of distribution, geographic variation, taxonomic composition and life histories to formulate a model of evolution in deep-sea invertebrates.
Current Grant Support
- Reproductive and Geographic Evidence for Source-Sink Dynamics in Deep-Sea Communities. The National Science Foundation. Biological Oceanography. (OCE-1129612) funded 9/1/11- 9/1/14, $145, 637, M.A. Rex (PI), S. Brault (Co-PI), C.T. Stuart (Co-PI).