Faculty & Staff
Areas of Expertise
Population and Conservation Ecology
PhD, Imperial College (Univ. of London) (1990)
MSc, Laval University (1983)
BSc, Biology University of Montreal (1978)
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Wood, Stephanie, Frasier, Tim, McLeod, Brenna, White, Bradley, Bowen, W. Don, Hammill, Michael, Gilbert, James, Waring, Gordon, Brault, Solange. 2011. The genetics of recolonization: An analysis of gray seal (Halichoerus grypus) stock structure in the Northwest Atlantic. Canadian Journal of Zoology 89, 490-497.
- LaCommare, K. S., C. Self-Sullivan, and S. Brault. (2008). Distribution and Habitat Use of Antillean Manatees (Trichechus manatus manatus) in the Drowned Cays Area of Belize, Central America. Aquatic Mammals, Vol. 34, No. 1, pp. 35-43.
- Goldstein, J., A. Cooper, S. Brault and M. Lutcavage. (2007) The reproductive status and body condition of Atlantic bluefin tuna in the Gulf of Maine, 2000-2002.
Marine Biology 151, 2063-2075.
- Wood, S.A., S. Brault and J.R. Gilbert (2007). 2002 aerial surveys of gray seals in the Northeastern United States. NAMMCO Scientific Publication 6, 117-121.
- Arnold, J.A., S. Brault and J. Croxall (2006). Albatross populations in peril: A population trajectory for Black-browed albatrosses at South Georgia. Ecological Applications 16, 419-432.
- Singha, A. and S. Brault. (2005). Assessing sustainability of nontimber forest product extractions: how fire regimes affect sustainability. Biodiversity and Conservation 14, 3537-3563.
- Goranson, N., S. Brault and J.P.Ebersole. ( 2005) Resolving an adaptive conundrum: reproduction in Caenorhabditis elegans is NOT sperm-limited when food is scarce. Evolutionary Ecology Research 7, 325-333.
- Pettis, H., R.M. Rolland, S. Brault, A, Knowlton, P. Hamilton, and S. Kraus. (2004) Visual health assessment of right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) using photographs. Canadian Journal of Zoology 82: 8-19.
- Brown, M.W., S. Brault, P.K. Hamilton, R.D. Kenney, A.R. Knowlton, M.K. Marx, C.A. Mayo, C.K. Slay, and S.D. Kraus. (2001). Sighting heterogeneity of right whales in the Western North Atlantic : 1980-1992. International Whaling Commission Special Issue Vol.14.
- Cooch, E., R. Rockwell and S. Brault. (2001) Temporal changes in the demography of La Perouse Bay lesser snow geese. Ecological Monographs 71: 377-400.
- Caswell, H., S. Brault, J.-D. Lebreton, M. Neubert, R. Sibly, T. Takada, and S. Tuljapurkar. (2000) No inconsistencies in sensitivity analysis. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 15:204.
- Brault, S. (1999) When are there "too few" newborns in small populations of marine mammals? American Fishery Society Symposium 23: 107-114.
- Caswell, H., M. Fujiwara, and S. Brault. (1999). Declining survival probability threatens the North Atlantic right whale. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. 96: 3308-3316.
- Gauthier, G. and S. Brault. (1998). Population model of the greater snow goose: Projected impacts of reduction in survival on population growth rate. pp. 65-80 in B.D.J. Batt, ed. The Greater Snow Goose: Report of the Arctic Goose Habitat Working Group. Arctic Goose Joint Venture Special Publication. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Washington, D.C. and Canadian Wildlife Service, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Caswell, H., S. Brault, A. Read and T. Smith. (1998) Harbor porpoise and fisheries: An uncertainty analysis of incidental mortality. Ecological Applications 8: 1226-1238.
- Rockwell, R., E. Cooch and S. Brault (1996). Dynamics of the Mid-continent population of lesser snow geese: Projected impacts of reductions in survival and fertility on population growth rates. Pp. 71-97 in 1st Report of the Arctic Goose Habitat Working Group, Arctic Goose Joint Venture Management Board
- Brault, S., S. Boyd, F. Cooke and J. Takekawa. 1994. Population models as tools for research cooperation and management: The Wrangel Island snow geese. Trans. 59th N. Amer. Wildl. Nat. Res. Conf. (in press).
- Gaudie, R.I., S. Brault, B. Conant, A.V. Kondratyev, M.R. Peterson and K. Vermeer. 1994. The status of sea ducks in the North Pacific Rim: Toward their conservation and management. Trans. 59th N. Amer. Wildl. & Nat. Res. Conf., pp. 27-39.
- Caswell, H., S. Brault, A. Read, T. Smith. 1994. Rate of increase of Harbor Porpoise populations: Estimation and uncertainty. WP 10B, Harbor Porpoise Workshop 1994, February 23-25 1994, Woods Hole, MA.
- Caswell, H. and S. Brault. 1993. Nonparametric estimates of age-specific mortality in pilot whales. WP-5, Report of the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) Study Group on Long-finned Pilot Whales, Copenhagen, 30 August-3 September 1993.
- Brault, S., G. Desportes and H. Caswell. 1993. Estimates of foetal mortality in Long-finned Pilot Whales. WP-8, Report of the International Council for the Exploration of the Seas (ICES) Study Group on Long-finned Pilot Whales, Copenhagen, 30 August-3 September 1993.
- Brault, S. and H. Caswell. 1993. Pod-specific demography of killer whales (Orcinus orca). Ecology 74: 1444-1454.
- Rosenberg, A.A. and S. Brault. 1993. Choosing a management strategy for stock rebuilding when control is uncertain. p. 1-7. In S.J. Smith, J.J.Hunt and D. Rivard [ed.]. Risk evaluation and biological reference points for fisheries management. Can. Spec. Pub. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 120.
- Brault, S. 1991. Host choice and offspring sex allocation in a solitary parasitic wasp. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 29: 353-360.
- Rosenberg, A.A. and S. Brault. 1991. Stock rebuilding strategies over different time scales. NAFO Sci. Coun. Studies 16: 171-181
Professor Brault's research addresses, often in a conservation ecology context, the processes occurring within the life cycle and the ways that these can influence survival and reproduction at the population level . The main current topics are: Demography of pilot whales and other marine mammals, and the effect of human exploitation; metapopulation dynamics of migratory bird populations; effects of the forms of density-dependence on population dynamics.
Download Select Publications Here
LaCommare, et. al, 2012: Trend detection in a boat-based method for monitoring sirenians: Antillean manatee case study
LaCommare, el. al, 2008: Distribution and Habitat Use of Antillean Manatees (Trichechus manatus manatus) in the Drowned Cayes Area of Belize, Central America
Goldstein, et. al, 2007: Reproductive status and body condition of Atlantic bluefin tuna in the Gulf of Maine, 2000–2002
Arnold, et. al, 2006: Albatross Populations in Peril: A Population Trajectory for Black-Brownded Albatrosses at South Georgia
Goranson, et. al, 2005: Resolving an adaptive conundrum: reproduction in Caenorhabditis elegans is not sperm-limited when food is scarce
Sinha, et. al, 2005: Assessing sustainability of nontimber forest product extractions: how fire affects sustainability
Pettis, et. al, 2004: Visual health assessment of North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) using photographs
Cooch, et. al, 2001: Retrospective Analysis of Demographic Responses to Environmental Change: A Lesser Snow Goose Example
Caswell, et. al, 1999: Declining survival probability threatens the North Atlantic right whale
Caswell, et. al, 1998: Harbor porpoise and fisheries: An uncertainty analysis of incidental mortality
Brault, et. al, 1993: Pod-specific demography of killer whales (Orcinus orca)
Download Select Reports Here
2007: Collision mortalities at Horseshoe Shoal of bird species of special concern
2007: Population Viability Analysis for the New England population of the Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus)