Post-Doctoral Research Scientist
Warren A. Vieria, PhD
Post-Doctoral Research Scientist
Areas of Expertise
Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Regeneration, Macrophages, Stem Cells, Malaria
PhD Molecular Biology (2015) – The Department of Hematology and Molecular Medicine, the University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa.
MSc (cum laude): Anatomy with Specialization in Cell Biology (2010) – The Department of Anatomy, the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
BSc Hons (cum laude): Cell Biology (2009) – The Department of Anatomy, the University of Pretoria, South Africa.
BSc (cum laude): Biochemistry and Zoology (2008) – Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, South Africa.
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Vieira, W.A. & T.L. Coetzer. Localization and interactions of Plasmodium falciparum SWIB/MDM2 homologues. Malaria Journal. 15:32. PMID: 26791088, 2016.
- Du Plessis, J., Vanheel, H., Janssen, C.E., Roos, L., Slavik, T., Stivaktas, P.I., Nieuwoudt, M., van Wyk, S.G., Vieira, W., Pretorius, E., Beukes, M., Farré, R., Tack, J., Laleman, W., Fevery, J., Nevens, F., Roskams, T. & S.W. van der Merwe. Activated intestinal macrophages in patients with cirrhosis release NO and IL-6 that may disrupt intestinal barrier function. Journal of hepatology. 58(6):1125-32. PMID: 23402745, 2013.
- Visagie, M., Theron, A., Mqoco, T., Vieira, W., Prudent, R., Martinez, A., Lafanechere, L. & A. M. Joubert. Sulphamoylated 2-methoxyestradiol analogues induce apoptosis in adenocarcinoma cell lines. PLOS ONE. 2013; 8(9):e71935. PMID: 24039728, PMCID: PMC3764137, 2013.
- Potgieter, M., Pretorius, E., van der Merwe, C.F., Beukes, M., Vieira, W.A., Auer, R.E.G., Auer, M. & S. Meyer. Histological assessment of SJL/J mice treated with the antioxidants coenzyme Q10 and resveratrol. Micron. 42(3):275-82. PMID: 21036052, 2011.
- Vieira, W.A. Oberholzer, H.M. & E. Pretorius. The Morphological Effects of Asthma, As Well As Conventional and Alternative Asthma Therapies on Parietal and Chief Cells in the Stomach of BALB/c Mice. International journal of morphology. 29(4):1341-1350,m 2011.
- Oberholzer, H.M., Vieira, W.A. & E. Pretorius. Investigating the Effect of the Homeopathic Immunomodulator, MODUL8® on Blood Count, Bronchial Lavage and Fibrin Ultrastructure on Experimental Asthmatic BALB/c Mice. International journal of morphology. 27(3):955-963, 2010.
- Van der Spuy, W.J., Potgieter, M., Pretorius, E. & W.A. Vieira. Differential Leukocyte Counts of SJL/J Mice with Dysferlinopathy Treated with Resveratrol and Coenzyme Q10. Scandinavian journal of laboratory animal science. 37(2):93 -99, 2010.
- Vieira, W.A. & E. Pretorius. The impact of asthma on the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). Journal of asthma and allergy. 2010; 3:123-30. PMID: 21437046, 2010.
Warren Vieira, a post-doctoral fellow from South Africa, is the newest addition to the McCusker Lab, located in the Integrated Sciences Complex of UMass Boston. His research, like that of the other members of the lab, broadly focuses on understanding the molecular mechanisms involved in organ regeneration in adults. He will make use of the Mexican Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) as a model organism, due to members of this species being able to faithfully regenerate various body structures (such as limbs) throughout their lives. By employing an array of molecular, cellular and biochemical techniques he will be working towards elucidating the mechanisms underlaying the reprogramming of axolotl cells in response to amputation so that an integrated regenerate can be formed.