Faculty & Staff
Alan Christian, PhD
Associate Professor of Aquatic Ecology, School for the Environment
Undergraduate Program Director, School for the Environment; Director of the Environmental Analytical Core Facility, School for the Environment
Areas of Expertise
Freshwater Ecology , Restoration Ecology, Ecological Stoichiometry, Citizen Science
PhD, Miami University, 2002 (Zoology).
MS, Arkansas State University, 1995 (Biological Sciences).
BS, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, 1992 (Biological Sciences).
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Atkinson, C.L., A.D. Christian, D.E. Spooner, and C.C. Vaughn. 2014. Long lived organisms provide an integrative footprint of agricultural land use. Ecological Applications 24 (2):375-384.
- Inoue, K*., D.M. Hayes*, J.L. Harris, and A.D. Christian. 2013. Phylogenetic and morphometric analysis reveal ecophenotypic plasticity in freshwater mussels Obovaria jacksoniana and Villosa arkansasensis (Bivlavia: Unionidae). Ecology and Evolution 3(8) 2670-83.
- Eisen-Cuadra, A.*, A.D. Christian, E. Dorval, B. Broadaway*, J. Herron**, and R.E. Hannigan. 2013. Metal geochemistry of a brackish lake: Etang Samatre, Haiti. Pages 149-166 in Medical Geochemistry: Geomedical Materials and Health. Edited by P. Censi, T.H. Darrah, and Y. Erel. Springer. New York.
- Asher*, A.M. and A.D. Christian. 2012. Population characteristics of the mussel Villosa iris (Lea) (Rainbow shell) in the Spring River Watershed, Arkansas. Southeastern Naturalist 11(2) 219-238.
- Wentz*, N.J., N.D. Henderson*, and A.D. Christian. 2011. Assessment and characterization of physical habitat, water quality, and biotic assemblages of the Tyronza River, Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Sciences 65: 143-152.
- Vanni, M. J., W. H. Renwick, A. M. Bowling**, M.J. Horgan, and A.D. Christian. 2011. Nutrient stoichiometry of linked catchment-lake systems along a gradient of land use. Freshwater Biology (2011) 56: 791-811.
- Weston, M.R., R.L. Johnson, AND A.D. Christian. 2010. Niche partitioning of the sympatric yellowcheek darter Ethiostoma moorei and rainbow darter Ethiostoma caeruleum in the Little Red River, Arkansas. American Midland Naturalist 164(2): 187-200.
- Vanni, M. J., W. H. Renwick, A. M. Bowling, M.J. Horgan, and A.D. Christian. 2010. Nutrient stoichiometry of linked catchment-lake systems along a gradient of land use. Freshwater Biology (2011) 56: 791-811. DOI : 10.1111/j.1365-2427.2010.02436x
- Johnson, R.L., A.D. Christian, S.D. Henry, AND S.W. Barkley. 2009. Distribution and ecology of black basses (Micropterus) in the lower Eleven Point River, Arkansas. Southeastern Naturalist. 8(4): 653-670.
- Harris, J. L., W. R. Posey, C. L. Davidson, J. L. Farris, S. O. Rogers, J. N. Stoeckel, B. G. Crump, M. Barnett, H. C. Martin, M. W. Matthews, J. Seagraves, N. J.Wentz, R.
Winterringer, C. Osborne, and A. D. Christian. 2009. Unionoida (Mollusca: Margaritiferidae, Unionidae) in Arkansas, Third Status Review. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science 63:50-86.
My research lab conducts research on the ecology of coastal freshwater and saline lake communities and ecosystems and restoration of coastal ecosystems. We use a variety of approaches in our investigations such as population/molecular genetics, microbial community structure, ecological stoichiometry, geochemistry, and stable CHNOS isotopes analyses, field and laboratory experiments, and geomorphology, GIS, and statistical techniques. Furthermore, we also use habitat and fish and invertebrate communities surveys and analysis tools to assess water quality and to investigate the effects of perturbations on freshwater communities and ecosystems.
- Freshwater Mussel Surveys and Identification (Endangered and Non-endangered)
- Freshwater Fish and Invertebrate Sampling and Identification
- Elemental Analysis: Tissue, Soil, Particulate Carbon, Nitrogen, and Sulfur
- For more details on my research projects, publications, and students please visit my Freshwater Ecology Lab Web page.
- For information on the Environmental Analytical Facility (EAF), please visit the EAF web page.
- For more information on the Coastal Research in Environmental Science and Technology REU (CREST REU) program, please visit the CREST REU web page.