Sponsoring Departments

Information for Sponsoring Departments - Website Orientation

Immigration services at UMass Boston provides assistance to departments for their underlying visa needs when sponsoring a foreign national.   These individuals can be researchers, professors, post-docs, and employees. Visa and immigration support comes from two offices on the UMass Boston campus: the International Student & Scholar Office (ISSO) and the Human Resources Office (HR), in conjuction with system Immigration Counsel in the President's Office. The most common visa classifications for university employment and research in the US are:  F-1 OPT/STEM OPT, J-1, H-1B, TN, EB, E-3, and O-1. The most appropriate visa type will depend on the nature of the research and/or employment of the incoming foreign national.  The ISSO manages the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa classification. The remaining visa classifications are managed in the office of Human Resources.

These webpages will guide departments on the J-1 Exchange Vistor Program and provide referral information for other visa classifications. By thoroughly reading these pages, departments will find abundent resources to understand and mange the visa sponsorship process in general and receive specific guidance in the following areas: