Welcome to Study Abroad!
Our mission is to provide UMass Boston students with worldwide study abroad opportunities and to make it possible for our students to learn, explore, and experience studying abroad.
- Benefits of studying abroad
- Diversity and Inclusion Abroad
- Study abroad Programs
- Eligibility Requirements
- Application process checklist
- Financing Study Abroad
- Health and Safety Abroad
Featured Scholarship: Fullbright-Hays Scholarship: Chinese Language Immersion Program
Dates: 1/9/2019 - 7/7/2019
Deadline to apply: 9/15/2018
About the program: This project will allow 8 college students from UMass Boston and other universities in America to participate in a funded language immersion program in China. This program will provide participants the opportunity to study Chinese language and culture at Shaanxi Normal University and to participate in an internship in Xi’an. The program runs from January 2019 to July 2019. Students should be at the intermediate-mid level of Chinese language proficiency in order to participate in academic studies, an internship, and a home-stay.
The program consists of:
- Academic learning at Shaanxi Normal University
- Internship in Xi'an
- Home-stay with Chinese host families
- Study tours in Shanghai, Yunnan, Xi'an and Beijing
- One major holiday celebration: Spring Festival
- Participants will work on the following projects: American Culture Ambassador Project, China In-depth Project, and the Internship Business Culture Difference Project
What is included:
- International travel up to $1,800, field trips, food based on the local-living standard
- Housing in a homestay
- Logistical on-site support
- A 2-day orientation in the US and a 1-day orientation in China
- Group projects and assesment given before and after the trip
- Study partners in China
Who should apply?
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students from UMass Boston and other U.S. higher education institutes are welcome to apply for this project. Applicant needs to reach Chinese proficiency at intermediate mid-level. Applicant is required to be an American citizen, or permanent resident.
To apply (deadline September 15, 2018):
- Completed application form
- Statement Form and Resume
- Physician's Report
For more information, please see the Fulbright-Hays China full immersion program brochure here.
- Receive one-on-one advising (call 617.287.5586; email email@example.com)
- Visit information tables
- Come to study abroad fairs in the Fall and Spring
Interested in Studying Abroad? Subscribe to our mailing list for more information and upcoming events!
There are numerous attractive and affordable opportunities for UMass Boston students to study abroad at over 30 programs in 17 countries in Asia, Europe, Middle East, South and North America, Australia, and Africa. Students participating in reciprocal exchange programs at a partner university, pay UMass Boston tuition and fees to attend the host institution abroad. Students can also study abroad worldwide with the approved study abroad providers. We look forward assisting you!
UMass Boston is among the four institution recipients of the 2016 "Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization" by NAFSA: Association of International Educators.
Visit the USA Study Abroad website to find more about the experience of studying abroad.
Browse Study Abroad Programs
Apply before the deadlines:
October 15 for spring; March 15 for fall
Study Abroad FAQs
Study Abroad forms and checklists
Visit Us:Office of Global Programs
Campus Center, Suite 2100