Study Abroad - Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q. Why study abroad?
A. There are many benefits to studying abroad. Student returnees state they gained life-changing experiences and life-enhancing skills while studying abroad; below are additional examples:
- Earn academic credit while abroad
- Enhance your resume
- Immerse yourself in another culture
- Improve your foreign language skills
- Make friends from around the world
- See the world and have fun!
Q. When can I study abroad?
A. Any time after having successfully completed one full semester at UMass Boston (not recommended for freshmen and seniors).
Q. What are eligibility requirements?
- GPA 2.75 or higher from UMass Boston
- Good disciplinary standing
- Having completed one full semester at UMass Boston at the time of application
- Current UMass Boston student
Q. Where can I study abroad?
A. Almost anywhere in the world.
- Consider 4 Cs: curriculum, cost, climate, and when choosing among programs.
- Search UMass Boston Programs and all other programs.
Q. How long can I study abroad?
A. Almost as long as you like, as long as you fulfill the residence requirements at UMass Boston.
- One semester, multiple semesters
- Academic year
- Summer, winter
Q. How many credits will I get while studying abroad?
A. It depends how many courses you take abroad.
- Semester - 12 credits, summer - 6 credits, winter - 3 credits.
- You need to get C- or above to receive the credit.
- The grades from abroad do not affect student’s GPA here.
- Courses will be transferred after the official transcript from abroad is received.
Q. Can I take courses in my major?
A. Yes, you can take courses in your major and/or minor; electives are the easiest to transfer.
- Browse the course offerings of various programs abroad by area of studies.
- Consult your academic advisor.
- Get approval for transfer of credits before your departure.
Q. Can I study abroad without knowing a foreign language?
A. Yes, since many of the programs abroad offer courses taught in English.
- Browse the course offerings of various programs abroad by a language of instruction (English)
Q. Can I afford to study abroad?
A. You can’t afford not to study abroad! Studying abroad, however, costs more than a regular semester at UMass Boston for in-state students.
- Choose among more affordable programs, e.g., Reciprocal Exchange Programs, you pay UMass Boston tuition
- Compare programs costs using budget planning worksheet
- Start early and seek multiple funding resources.
Q. Can I get financial aid to study abroad?
A. In most cases, yes.
- FAFSA and Pell Grant “travel”
- Certain scholarships transfer, e.g., Chancellor's and the Foster Furcolo Scholarship for Reciprocal Exchange Programs
- Apply on time for scholarships to study abroad
Q. How can I apply to study abroad?
A. By exploring this website.