Academic FAQs

Find answers here to questions about credits, courses, and formatting requirements for theses and dissertations.

Where is the Office of Graduate Studies and what are its hours?
The Office of Graduate Studies is located on the first floor of the Quinn Administration Building. Hours of operation are 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Contact the office by phone at 617.287.5700 or by fax at 617.287.5699.
If I am expected to do a thesis or dissertation, how do I learn about the requirements?
Requirements for a thesis or dissertation vary by program. To find out the requirements specific to your program contact the committee chair. The university has a standard format that a thesis or dissertation must follow. It is recommended that you follow that formatting from the beginning rather than reformatting your paper at the end. These formatting standards are available to you on the Theses & Dissertations page.
How many credits are required to be considered a full-time student?
To be considered full-time, a student must be enrolled in classes totaling nine (9) or more credits per semester. Anything less than nine (9) credits is considered part time. Doctoral candidates engaged in dissertation research may be considered full-time students provided their graduate program certifies that they are working at a full-time status. Students seeking financial aid should obtain detailed information about full-time and part-time requirements from Financial Aid Services.
How do I find out what is offered through the College of Advancing and Professional Studies?
The College of Advancing and Professional Studies offers online, off campus, weekend and evening courses in various programs and certificates. All courses are credited by UMass Boston and are transferable. For more information on courses, registration, programs, and certificates please visit the College of Advancing and Professional Studies website or call 617.287.7900.
If I am a non-degree student, how do I register, and what are the regulations and requirements as a non-degree student?
Non-degree, or non-matriculated students, can obtain information on the Non-degree Students page. Please note that only six (6) credits taken as a non-degree student can be transferred into a UMass Boston graduate program.
To whom do I speak regarding the required courses, electives, waivers, or transfer credits in my program?
The graduate program director is the best resource for information regarding your academic program requirements. For contact information, please view the List of Graduate Programs and Directors.
Where do I find assistance in the event of readmitting after leave of absence, incomplete grades, and the statue of limitations in completing my program?
Your graduate program director is the best resource for information on academic rules and regulations and particularly how they apply to you. Please visit the Academic Regulations - Graduate page for more information.
When is the deadline to declare graduation upon completing the program?
Students should be aware that if they declare late, it could result in postponing their graduation to a future date. For deadline information on graduation declaration, visit the Graduation page on the Office of the Registrar website.