All honors students spread their wings in substantial, independent senior projects, and many pursue internships that complement their academic interests.
- During her internship, Erica Mena helped to found Arrowsmith Press. Before long she was a senior editor, working with such authors as Nobel Prize-winning poets Derek Walcott and Seamus Heaney.
- For a senior project exploring the role of environmental factors in intensifying users’ responses to drugs, Carlos Bock analyzed sensitization to amphetamine in laboratory rats.
- An honors art project was the starting point for “Transfiguration,” a series of prints by Emily Taranto-Kent. Now her work has been purchased and installed in the UMass Boston Campus Center.
- For his honors thesis, Nowaf Al-Saidy gathered survey data to answer questions about the existence of discrimination in the retail industry.
- Joy Cookingham spent her summer internship as a geographic information coordinator, mapping the city’s tree canopy as part of a plan to plant 100,000 new trees in Boston by 2020.
Check out a sample of recent Honors College theses via ScholarWorks.
Giving to UMass Boston
Your gift to the Honors College supports students who thrive on intellectual challenge.