Frequently Asked Questions

Management of Aging Services, MS


Can I take courses on campus and online?
Management of Aging Services (MAS) courses are offered online only.
How long will it take me to get my degree?
This program requires you to take 12 courses. A full-time student can complete this program in 3 semesters. On average, our students complete the course requirements in 2 years.
I work full time, should I take a full time course load?
You should plan on 9-12 hours of time committed per week for each 3 credit class. This includes attending the chat session online, reading, and homework assignments. We recommend a part time course schedule if you have a full time job.
How will this program help my career?
Many students go on to work in service supported elder housing facilities, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult day care agencies, home care agencies, councils on aging, senior centers, and state and federal agency administration and management. In addition, the private sector is increasingly targeting its services and products to an aging population and many will be looking for employees with understanding of this population.
How much does each course cost?
Tuition and fees change on a regular basis, please refer to the College of Advancing and Professional Studies website for the most up-to-date figures. Read more »
Can I attend graduation?
Yes, we encourage you to participate in UMass Boston’s commencement ceremony which takes place in June each year, although it is not required. Read more »
Is this program fully accredited?
Yes, we are accredited by the commission on institutions of higher education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEAASC). Read more »
How is the online Management of Aging Services program different from the in-person Master's research track?
The Management of Aging Services program is geared toward the aging services practitioner. Our MAS students generally work in the field, directly supporting the aging population. Our in-person Master's program is focused on research and policy issues that impact the aging population.
Can I transfer credit?
Graduate courses already completed from a graduate program where a degree was not awarded or credit earned beyond the degree’s minimum requirements will be evaluated individually for transfer credit. Prior course work must be equivalent to course work offered in the program for transfer credit to be awarded. The maximum number of transferable credits is six.
Can I continue in the PhD program after receiving my Master’s in the MAS program?
The MAS program is designed to be a terminal degree. These courses are not transferable to the Gerontology PhD program at UMass Boston although some students have elected to pursue a PhD after completing this program.
Do you require the TOEFL for international students?
All applicants who earned their bachelor’s from a college university outside the United states are required to take either the test of English as a foreign language (TOEFL) or the international English language testing system exam (IELTS). Applicants are exempt if they have attended an English-speaking college or university in the United Sates for a period of at least two academic years full time or received at least 4 years of education (including their undergraduate program) in Australia, Canada (except Quebec), England, Ireland, Kenya, New Zealand , Scotland, Singapore, United States or Wales. Read more »
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline for the fall semester is June 1 and for the spring is November 1.
Are GRE scores required?
No, GRE scores are not required for the MAS program.
Do the online classes have scheduled meeting times?
All courses include synchronous chats between students and the instructor either every week or every other week. These chats are held in the evenings or weekends Eastern Standard Time. They provide students with the opportunity to interact directly with their fellow classmates and the instructor allowing for lectures, questions and answers and general discussions. Students are required to participate in these chat sessions. This makes the online learning process more personal and enjoyable!
What will my diploma say?
Your diploma will be issued by the University of Massachusetts Boston, your degree will be a Master's of Science in Gerontology.
I missed the application deadline, what are my options?
You may take up to two classes as a non-degree student. If you are accepted, you can transfer these courses into the program to count toward your degree. Things to note: 1. You must still apply and be accepted to the program 2. You must earn a grade of "B" or better in order to transfer a course into the program Read more »