Plan Your Education
How to Apply
Applicants must meet general graduate admission requirements in addition to the following program-specific requirements:
- Statement of purpose - Please discuss in 1,200 words or less your reasons for pursuing a graduate certificate in human rights, and your academic, personal, and professional goals.
- Transcripts - Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Applicants must possess a four-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university, and must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Letter of recommendation - This letter should come from someone who can speak to your academic and professional preparation for program success.
- Résumé or curriculum vitae - Please make sure all educational background and professional history is current with degrees earned, institutions attended, majors, and GPAs.
Deadlines & Cost
Deadlines: June 1 for fall, November 1 for spring
Application Fee: The nonrefundable application fee is $75. UMass Boston alumni and current students that plan to complete degree requirements prior to graduate enrollment can submit the application without paying the application fee.
Program Cost Information: Bursar’s website
Required Courses (9 Credits)
- GISD 624 - International Human Rights Law, Policy and Practice 3 Credit(s)
- GISD 625 - Human Rights-Based Approaches to Social Justice 3 Credit(s)
- GISD 626 - Global Health and Human Rights 3 Credit(s)
Independent Study (3 Credits)
- GISD 696 - Independent Study 1-6 Credit(s)
Elective (3 Credits)
Select one elective course from among the courses offered at the University with the permission of your advisor and the Academic Affairs Committee.
Complete 15 credits from five courses including three required courses, one independent study, and one elective.
Statute of limitations: Three years.
Graduate Program Director Kaitlyn Siner
kaitlyn.siner [@] umb.edu
School for Global Inclusion & Social Development
Learn more about the faculty, research, and programs that make up our School for Global Inclusion & Social Development.Explore School for Global Inclusion & Social Development
College of Education & Human Development
Learn more about the faculty, research, and programs that make up our College of Education & Human Development.Explore College of Education & Human Development