UMass Boston

Writing Proficiency Requirements by College

Students in the following colleges must demonstrate proficiency through EWRAP or the WPE:

  • College of Liberal Arts
  • College of Science and Mathematics
  • College of Nursing and Health Sciences
  • College of Education and Human Development
  • Continuing and Professional Studies (Global Affairs, BA (online))
  • Honors College
  • School for the Environment

College of Management

Students in the College of Management demonstrate writing proficiency through the course "Professional Written Communication & Critical Analysis" (BC 290). Click here for more details on the College of Management Writing Assessment test dates and how to register.


If you already hold an undergraduate bachelors degree from a university that is accredited by one of the US Regional Accreditation Agencies and you are pursuing a second bachelors degree at UMass Boston, you may apply for a waiver of the Writing Proficiency Requirement. Please contact the Writing Proficiency Office to apply and use this waiver request form.