Eligibility for Services

By law, a student with a disability does not have to self-disclose or register with the Ross Center for Disability Services, although we encourage them to do so. If, on the other hand, they are seeking academic accommodations or adjustments, they must contact our office to request services.

In order to determine eligibility for an academic adjustment/auxiliary aid, the student must register at the Ross Center and provide documentation of the disability. The documentation must be current, provide a clear diagnosis by the appropriate medical professional and specify the functional limitations related to the disorder. At that point a decision of appropriate academic accommodations is made. These determinations are made on a case-by-case basis.

Once it is determined that a student is eligible to receive services, it is important to note that they still must follow established policies of the Ross Center in regards to timeliness of requests and completing necessary request forms in order to properly coordinate accommodations.

Students must complete accommodations request forms for each semester they attend UMass Boston.