Q:  I have a student in my class who I believe has a disability, but I don't know how to approach the student about this. What should I say?

A:  A good place to start is discussing the student's academic performance and your concerns related to that. Then you can let the student know about various resources on campus, including the Ross Center. All students are expected to follow the Student Code of Conduct. If the student is violating the code of conduct, then this can be reported to Student Affairs. If the student discloses that they have a disability, you can let them know the Ross Center is available to them for assistance and/or consultation. We encourage faculty members to contact the Ross Center by phone or email with any questions.

Q:  Does the student with a disability have to meet same academic expectations as the other students?

A:  Yes, the academic rigor of the course should not be different for any student. A student with a disability may need an accommodation or adjustment in the assessment process or delivery of the material, but the essential academic requirements do not change.

Q:  I have a student who has requested an accommodation regard the class attendance requirement. How do I respond

A: If attendance is determined by you to be an essential element in the course, then the student must meet the attendance requirement like all other students.

Q:  I have a student who verbally asked me for accommodations but did not supply a Faculty Letter from the Ross Center. Do I need to require that letter?

A:  Yes the letter is required documentation for providing accommodations. The student does not ever need to disclose the disability to you or to produce disability documentation for you. The only requirement is the Faculty Letter that should be signed by the Ross Center Disability Coordinator, the student, and the faculty. Accommodations are a result of collaboration between student, faculty, and the Ross Center

Q:  I teach an online course and do not know how to give the student extra time as an Exam Accommodation. How do I get that information?

A:  You can contact Bianca Bonasoro, Access Coordinator at the Ross Center. She will assist you to provide this accommodation. Her email address is: Bianca.Bonasoro@umb.edu.

Q:  I am planning on showing videos in my class, but they are not captioned. Is this a requirement?

A:  Yes, captioned videos are required if there is a student in your class who is deaf or has a hearing impairment. The Ross Center is knowledgeable about available captioning resources and can assist you in arranging for captioning.