Academic Year Tutors
The University of Massachusetts Boston TRiO Upward Bound Program is an intensive, year-round college-preparatory program. Our mission is to assist low-income, first-generation college bound high school students in successful completion of secondary education and prepare them academically and socially for enrollment and completion of higher education. Tutors help to meet these program objectives by assisting teachers during classes, leading structured study hall and providing support during drop in study hall periods.
Fall: Late Sep-Early Dec
All other hours are flexible and based on mutually agreed upon schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in staff orientation meeting. Full participation is a condition of employment.
- Supervise and assist students during study time
- Provide mentorship to program participants
- Coordinate and implement study sessions and reading groups during daily study time
- Attend staff meetings
- Assist in event set-up and clean up throughout the semester.
- Communicate daily with staff members, administrative staff, students, and parents/guardians.
- Enforce Upward Bound rules and regulations.
- Assist with light office work and phone homes of students to make announcements.
- Carry out any other duties as assigned by the staff.
- Matriculating college students (juniors, seniors and graduate students preferred) with some tutoring/counseling experience working with low-income and/or culturally diverse students.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of high school students.
- Must have excellent English and/or mathematics skills.
- Ability to tutor students in at least one of the following subject areas: English, mathematics, science, history or Spanish
- Must be highly energetic.
For more information, contact us at 617-287-5845 or email@example.com