Hiring Summer 2018 Instructors
The UMass Boston Upward Bound Program is Hiring Summer 2018 Instructors
The UMass Boston Upward Bound program is hiring summer instructors to teach courses during our six-week summer program, which is located at Anna Maria College in Paxton, Ma. The summer program serves rising 10th-12th grade students who are participants in the Upward Bound program. Students live on campus and take five classes each day. Instructors teach 1-3 courses in a variety of subjects with a focus on hands-on, project-based learning and the development of college-ready students.
We seek instructors who will work with us to close the academic opportunity gap by designing and implementing college-preparatory summer courses in a variety of academic subjects. Courses can be thematic in nature but should include fundamental skills of subject areas. Additionally, courses could bridge multiple subject areas.
Course offerings include:
Mathematics: Basic Math through Precalculus/Statistics
Laboratory Science: Biology, Chemistry, and Physics
English Language Arts
English as a Second Language
Language: Preference for American Sign Language or Vietnamese but others will be considered
Social Studies: History, Cultural Studies, Psychology or Social Justice
- Participate in staff training/orientation during the week before the summer program (June 20th-21st)
- Develop and implement a dynamic, hands-on, experiential course(s); work with the associate director to prepare course in the months leading up to the program (mostly via email and phone, unless otherwise preferred)
- Work with teaching assistant in class to ensure that students are successful both inside and outside of the classroom
- Participate in weekly teacher meetings (approximately 1 hour/week).
- Complete a mid-term and final evaluation for each student
- Communicate student progress to program staff and students’ families.
- Attend and participate in Family Day, the summer-end showcase/celebration (August 2nd at 4:30 pm).
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field. Master’s or other advanced degree preferred.
- Teaching experience, preferably with urban youth and those with disparate learning needs.
- Demonstrated experience with a multicultural student population.
- Demonstrated classroom management skills, and methods that encourage the development of active and independent learning habits.
- Familiarity with the Massachusetts Core Standards preferred, or a willingness to be acquainted with standards.
Instructors are paid $1820 per course section for courses that meet 5 days/week; $1460 for 4 days/week.
Classes are held daily Monday through Friday.
The summer program is scheduled to run from Sunday, June 24th through Thursday, August 3rd.
Classes are 1 hour in length and meet between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. daily.
Upward Bound courses will take place this summer at Anna Maria College, in Paxton, MA (near Worcester): http://www.annamaria.edu/about/contact/campus-map.
Upward Bound participants are low-income and/or first-generation college-bound students in grades 10-12. Our students attend underperforming partner high schools; some are at high risk for academic failure; others are on the honor roll. As a group, they have academic skills and grade point averages that vary widely.
Please email a copy of your current resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include desired subject areas in your coverage area.
Please review the job description for more details on the position and how to apply.
Please email email@example.com or call Suamy Ventura, Associate Director, at 857-271-6264