Would you like to:
- Welcome new students to UMass Boston at New Student Orientation?
- Tell them all the things you wish you had known when you first started?
- Assist academic advisors in presenting sessions on degree requirements?
- Help students register for first semester courses?
- Gain valuable professional experience?
If you’re a highly motivated undergraduate student with proven academic excellence and leadership skills, you know your way around UMass Boston, and you’re a WISER whiz, consider joining the Academic Peer Advising Program.
Each year we hire about ten students to assist the academic advisors at orientation. Peer advisors are confident, assertive speakers, either one-on-one or before a group. They don’t hesitate to ask for help when they need it. They’re patient explainers. They’ve developed good strategies for academic success. They’re enthusiastic about the university. And they can speak first-hand to the value of UMass Boston’s general education curriculum.
- Be knowledgeable about the University, its services and programs
- Are responsible, assertive and dedicated to serving the needs of new students
- Have between 30-90 credits with a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Undergraduate & work-study status preferred.
You’ll go through a comprehensive training program, and work hand-in-hand with academic advisors. This is a great paraprofessional opportunity that will stand out on your résumé and help give you a competitive edge.
Come see us at the University Advising Center (Campus Center, first floor) for a full job description, an application, salary/training information, and dates/hours.
If you have any questions, please contact Teresa Goyette, program coordinator, at 617-287-5500.