CLEP stands for the College Level Examination Program. CLEP examinations are offered in over 34 subject areas and cover material generally taught in introductory college level courses. Students take CLEP examinations to bypass classes that they have prior knowledge of. Each Institution determines which CLEP examinations and passing scores they will accept for credit.
CLEP exams are computer based, and consist mainly of multiple choice questions. Scores are generated and printed at the completion of exams except for those with essays. You do not need to be a UMass Boston student to take the CLEP examination at our center because UMass Boston is an Open CLEP center.
Our Testing Center offers CLEP exams Monday - Saturday by appointment only. CLEP reservations are made by calling the testing center at 617-287-5522. Test scores are automatically printed at the end of the exam, except for exams with essays. Official test results are sent by CLEP to the school you select within approximately two weeks after testing.
- CLEP exams must be purchased in advance online through the College Board website. Cost is $80.00
- The UMass Boston Testing Center fee is $30.00 which you pay when arrive for your appointment. Payment can be made by cash or check. Credit/debit cards are not accepted.
- Total cost for CLEP is $110.00.
- We offer free CLEP services to active military and their spouses with proper identification.
- ADA accommodations must be made directly with the Testing Center by phone or email in advance. Please provide original documentation from your current school on official letterhead. Documentation must be dated within 12 months of your testing appointment.
- CLEP study guides and reference materials are available at the College Board’s website. Copies of the College Board's Official Study Guide for CLEP are available for review at the Testing Center. It can also be downloaded from the College Board Website.
- UMass Boston students must comply with our CLEP credit policy and submit a CLEP Permission form to the Office of the Registrar.
- To view how many UMass Boston college credits you will receive based on your CLEP exam score. See this chart
- All other students should consult their school's transfer office or advising department to review their institution's CLEP policy
- Contact the Testing Center to schedule your testing appointment.
CLEP Credit and Degree Requirement Guidelines for UMass Boston students:
- All current UMass Boston students must obtain prior approval (through the Registrar's office) before taking CLEP exams for credit.
- UMass Boston students who have completed their Distribution requirements are not eligible to receive additional credit for General exams.
- Students who have taken upper level courses in science and/or Math may not earn credit by CLEP exams for lower level (pre-requisite) courses.
- A passing score on a Foreign Language CLEP exam will satisfy the Elementary Language Proficiency Requirement; however, degree credits are not awarded and students still need to complete the Distribution area of World Language/World Cultures.
- Credit awarded through CLEP is considered transfer credit, not "residence" credit.
- No credit will be granted for foreign language CLEP exams. Students will satisfy the Foreign Language requirement with passing scores.
- Students must wait three months before repeating the same CLEP test in order to have the second CLEP score considered for credit.
Schedule your testing appointment:
Call or email the Testing Center
Location & Directions:
Campus Center Building, Upper Level Atrium, Room 130