Scholarships for Transfer Students
"The scholarship made all the difference. I could afford to come here, and my credits transferred easily." -Ali Taqi, recipient of the Foster Furcolo Scholarship
UMass Boston offers merit scholarships to qualified transfer students.
The Transfer Merit Scholarship
We are currently accepting applications for students beginning in the spring 2018 semester. We will offer a limited number of one-time, non-renewable scholarship for students beginning in the Spring 2018 semester of up to $1,500.
- Must be transferring in at least 12 credits of coursework
- Must be transferring in a with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
Please complete the Transfer Merit Scholarship Application Here.
All applications must be submitted by December 15th, 2017 for consideration.
The Foster Furcolo Scholarship Program
Awards two-year scholarships covering tuition and most mandatory fees to one graduate of each public community college in Massachusetts.
Established to honor Foster Furcolo, who served as governor of Massachusetts from 1957 to 1960. He was instrumental in the creation of the system of public community colleges in the Commonwealth .
- Each community college president may select one student for recommendation and submit a letter describing the nominee’s qualifications for the Furcolo Scholars to the Office for Merit-Based Scholarships. The letter may come from the transfer and/or advising officer at each community college.
- Contact the office of your community college president for consideration.
- Final selection will be determined by UMass Boston. Not all nominees will be offered scholarships.
- Must exemplify the success of the community college system in accomplishing the educational mission envisioned by Governor Furcolo
- Earned an associate’s degree with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5
- A Massachusetts resident
- Must be a first time, full-time student enrolling for fall semester immediately following graduation from the community college
- Must graduate from your community college in the spring preceding fall entrance at UMass Boston
- Not available to applicants from community colleges graduating in the winter term
- Nominated students may not have attended UMass Boston in the past
Deadline: May 1st
The Osher Reentry Scholarship
Awarded to newly entering UMass Boston students who are returning to college after an interruption in study of five years. This five year timeframe need not be consecutive. Osher Reentry Scholars will receive up to a $5,000.00 per year scholarship. The scholarship is potentially renewable.
- Resuming college after a gap of approximately five years. This gap need not be consecutive. You may have stopped in and out of school, but should have a total of five years away from higher education and be eager to complete your degree at UMass Boston now.
- Completing a first bachelor's degree
- Looking forward to a significant number of years in the workforce after graduation
- Fill out a paper application
- Send the application to the Office for Merit-Based Scholarships (Campus Center, 4th floor) 100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125 or scan and email it to email@example.com
December 1st, 2017 for students entering in spring 2018
August 1st, 2018 for students entering in fall 2018
Massachusetts Advantage Plus Program (MAPP)
Eligible MassTransfer students receive a tuition credit, up to $1,714, when they enroll at UMass Boston. The scholarship is renewable for up to four semesters.
- Completed an Associate's Degree at an approved Massachusetts Community College
- Achieved a GPA of 3.0
- Enrolled at UMass Boston within one year of completion of Associate's Degree
For more information visit the MassTransfer website.