Admissions & Financial Aid

International Freshmen

International students at UMass Boston

If you would like to seek admission to UMass Boston as an international student, we strongly encourage you to apply online by submitting either applications below. 

International Application Requirements

As a prospective international freshman student, you are required to submit all of the following materials in order to be considered for admission:

Test Requirements

English Proficiency Requirements

Provisional Admission

UMass Boston may offer provisional admission to the international undergraduate applicant that meets all of the admission criteria, but whose TOEFL or IELTS results do not meet the minimum requirements.

Students provisionally accepted to the university will be referred to enroll in the University Preparation ESL program.

All documents should be mailed to:

University of Massachusetts Boston
Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center
PO Box 814
Randolph, MA 02368

Essay Requirement

All UMass Boston applicants are asked to submit a personal essay. It gives you the opportunity to present yourself in a way that grades and test scores cannot. Our admissions counselors use your essay to determine your ability to organize your thoughts and express yourself clearly.

The admission essay is also used in consideration for admission to the university’s College or scholarship opportunities for qualified applicants.

Please select one of the following questions and write an essay of about 500 words.

Essay topic options:

Obtaining an I-20

To obtain form I-20 for students applying for an F-1 visa, you are required to complete and submit the Certification of Finances form (pdf).

This demonstrates your ability to finance your education and living expenses during your stay as a student at UMass Boston. Your ability to document the funding available to you is a necessary part of your application for an F-1 student visa. You must submit the original document.

Include a letter of support (in English) from your sponsor(s), unless you are using personal funds, with your Certification of Finances form, stating the undertaking of all expenses for the duration of your studies here at the university. Also, include a current copy of your sponsor's bank statement.

Already in the U.S.?

 If you are already studying in the US, you will need to submit additional documents to receive an I-20 from UMass Boston. These forms can either be submitted with your application or after the admission decision has been made:

(The Transfer Verification form for Non-Immigrant Students should be submitted if you are an admitted non-immigrant international student on a current F-1 visa transferring from another US high school or ESL center.)

Looking for a place to live?

Get in touch with the Office of Student Housing.
Read More