How Do Credits Transfer to UMass Boston
- Credit for courses must have been completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher education where the grade received was at least a C- (College of Nursing & Health Sciences requires at least a C+), in order to be considered for transfer to UMass Boston.
- For the granting of all transfer credit, coursework must be comparable in content and scope to those offered by UMass Boston, as determined by faculty.
- Internships, practicums, college success, and vocational courses are generally not accepted for transfer credit.
- Courses taken as Pass/Fail are not acceptable for transfer, unless the transcript clearly states that passing is C- or better.
- A maximum of 90 credits can be transferred from four-year institutions.
- No more than 70 credits may be transferred from community colleges.
- Some specific transfer credit policies apply by college.
- For the purposes of transferring credit the Office of Undergraduate Admissions may require that credits taken outside the U.S. be evaluated by an independent credential evaluation service. Click here for more information.
Which of Your Credits Will Transfer to UMass Boston
Established UMass Boston transfer course equivalencies are available for your review through Transferology.
Transferology shows you which courses from your school will most likely transfer to UMass Boston. You will receive an official Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) from us after you are admitted.
At the Transferology website, you should:
- Create a new account.
- On the Courses tab – type the name of a school from which you will transfer credit (if you have attended more than one you will need to repeat this step).
- Select the semester and year the course was taken in.
- Type the department code (for example if you took an English course at UMass Boston the department code would be ENGL).
- Your course will likely display and then you can add it to “My Courses” by clicking the green plus sign.
- If your course does not display, use the “add it yourself” feature.
- Follow this process until all your courses have been added.
- Then click the “find schools that accept my courses” button.
- Click on University of Massachusetts Boston.
- Your transfer credit results will display.
NOTE: These results are unofficial. We'll give you a full transfer credit evaluation after admission.
Your Transfer Credit Evaluation
We'll send you an official Transfer Credit Evaluation by mail after you are admitted to UMass Boston.
Check out the short video below to help you better understand how to read your TCE document and get you prepared for orientation and class registration.