Admissions & Financial Aid

Educational Benefits

Veterans Day Cruise, 2016

Military Credit
VALOR Act Academic Credit Evaluation Policy

The University of Massachusetts Boston appreciates the experience our veterans bring to the campus. When you submit an official Joint Service Transcript (JST) from the American Council on Education, your military education and experience will be evaluated for transfer credit. UMass Boston will evaluate your Joint Service Transcript based on our transfer credit policies.  

If you are a current UMass Boston student with questions related to military credits, please contact:

Valerie Corrente
Associate Registrar of Enrollment Services
Phone: 617.287.6023

UMass Boston also recognizes other prior learning experiences gained by military personnel.

To obtain your military transcripts, click on the appropriate link below:
Joint Services Transcript (Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marines)
Community College of the Air Force (Air Force)

Massachusetts Veteran Tuition Credit

To qualify for this tuition credit, you must be "matriculated" which means you have applied for admission and were accepted into a degree program. As a degree-seeking Massachusetts veteran, your tuition will be waived when you provide us with a copy of your DD214 (Member-4) showing an Honorable Discharge. The credit applies to state-funded programs offered at UMass Boston. It does not cover your UMass Boston fees such as curriculum, service, mandatory or lab fees.

The College of Advancing and Professional Studies offers many evening, weekend, summer and online courses. Fees for courses offered through the College of Advancing and Professional Studies are structured differently than those through the College of Liberal Arts, the College of Science and Mathematics and others. We can waive the College of Advancing and Professional Studies course fee, but some restrictions apply. You may not use this credit for courses that you take a non-degree student. Contact us to learn the stipulations which apply to your situation.

How To Use your GI Bill to Pay for College

  1. Apply for your veterans benefits using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
  2. Apply for admissions to UMass Boston as an undergraduate or graduate student
  3. Allow 6-8 weeks for a decision on both applications
  4. Apply for Financial Aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the priority deadline
  5. Once you are admitted and registered for classes, give us your class schedule, Certificate of Eligibility from the VA and your DD214 (member-4) and we will certify your attendance with the VA.
  6. Once you are certified, you'll be able to start classes. Your payment will take approximately 6-8 weeks to process after certification.
  7. UMass Boston will apply your state benefits prior to your federal GI Bill benefits.
  8. Please notify our office of any changes in your schedule or status as soon as possible. For example, if you are deployed and need to withdraw from classes, we can help. If you drop or add a course, this may affect your military benefits and your financial aid.

Federal Veterans Benefits

There are six major educational benefit programs in order of popularity:

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Most of the veterans studying at UMass Boston are using the benefits of the Post 9/11 GI Bill otherwise known as Chapter 33.  Service members and veterans who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible for these educational benefits. 

Montgomery GI Bill (Active Duty)

Vocational Rehabilitation

Chapter 31, or Voc Rehab, is offered to veterans with a service-connected disability of 20% or more and may extend your educational benefits up to 48 more months. Voc Rehab covers all applicable education related expenses. Most of the processing and appointments for this program are through the Boston VA Office.

Chapter 35 Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance (DEA):

The DEA benefit is available to dependents of a veteran who died or is permanently disabled as a result of a service connected disability. Qualified children must be between the ages of 18-26 to receive up to 45 months of educational benefits. The period of eligibility for spouses ranges from 10-20 years.

Select Reserve GI Bill (SELRES)

1606 is for actively drilling reservists with no active duty time (training only). The 1606 pays a stipend of $375/mo. If you are eligible for a “kicker,” that amount will be applied to your stipend with proper documentation. When applying for 1606 Select Reserve GI Bill on VONAPP, please include your Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) or a DD214 if applicable.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP or 1607 is a benefit is based on your activation of 90 days or more as a Reservist in response to war or natural disaster. 1607 is a benefit calculated by your activation time and education/training pursuit.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Please contact our Veterans Affairs Office for information on our Yellow Ribbon Program stipulations.

State benefits

Comprehensive services for MA Vets
Read More

Federal benefits

U.S. Dept. of Vet Affairs
Read More

Massachusetts Army and Air Force National Guard

Tuition and Fee Reimbursement Program
Read More


  • Veterans Affairs
  • Campus Center, 4th Floor
  • 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
  • No appointment necessary
  • Phone: 617.287.5890
  • Fax: 617.287.6242