The Center for Governance and Sustainability seeks to develop a wide network of collaborators to advance policy-relevant governance and sustainability research activities. We currently work with the following organizations:
- Addis Ababa University (Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre/Network, Ethiopia)
- Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness (SERC) UMass Boston
- Sustainable Enterprise Partnership
The Center for Governance and Sustainability has a formal partnership with the Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre/Network at Addis Ababa University in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Through this partnership the Centers will develop initiatives to contribute to achieving sustainable development in Africa with specific emphasis to the Horn of Africa Region.
The Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre at Addis Ababa University serves as the secretariat for the Horn of Africa Regional Environment Network. The Centre facilitates and supports cooperation between member organizations and other environmental actors, including private sector and government, to carry out activities “on the ground”. The Centre features a number of partnership programs, capacity upgrading initiatives, and demand-driven action research. Through these functions, the Centre aims to motivate students in environment related studies by offering practice oriented research options in field situations.
The Center for Governance and Sustainability and the Horn of Africa Regional Environment Centre/Network are cooperating in advancing sustainable development governance and climate change governance through coordinated research, capacity building and training programs, and short courses on Global Environmental Governance issues pertinent to Africa and the Horn of Africa Region. Cooperation is conducted through a variety of activities such as joint proposals and projects, analytical studies and policy papers, peer review processes, and the seconding of staff through internships and visiting appointments. The Center for Governance and Sustainability will also have the capacity to further the knowledge and research initiatives of its staff through the temporary staff appointments between the two institutions.
The Center for Sustainable Enterprise and Regional Competitiveness (SERC) at the University of Massachusetts Boston is an authoritative resource and leader in building a vibrant, sustainable, and prosperous low-carbon regional economy that serves as a model to the world. It facilitates the development of the Boston region as a key hub of global low-carbon research, education, finance, professional services, and policy innovation. Affiliated faculty are also engaged in international collaborative research projects on topics such as drivers of organizational carbon neutrality and corporate responses to climate change in an international comparative perspective.
The Sustainable Enterprise Partnership links the extraordinary resources of three Central New York institutions to offer world-class education and research on sustainable enterprise and provide transdisciplinary understanding of sustainability:
- Syracuse University's Whitman School of Management, a pioneer in offering environmental law and policy courses, with top-ranked programs in the key areas of entrepreneurship and supply chain management;
- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-ESF), the only college in the United States where all programs relate to natural resources and the environment; and
- The Syracuse Center of Excellence in Environmental and Energy Systems (SyracuseCoE), a federation of more than 200 businesses and institutions that collaborate on sustainable innovations to improve built and urban environments. SyracuseCoE partners work on research, development and educational projects relating to clean and renewable energy, indoor environmental quality and water resources.
This unique collaboration actively integrates business, science, policy, and practice to develop and provide graduate and undergraduate curricula, educational outreach, and research on sustainable enterprise.
Center for Governance and Sustainability
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.