The Center on Media and Society, affiliated with the College of Liberal Arts, is designed to bring the world of media and communication practice to the University of Massachusetts Boston campus, complementing and enhancing academic courses and research. To add to the university’s urban mission, the Center on Media and Society has identified unique contributions it hopes to make to the community at large.
The center began its work in 2004 by focusing on two themes:
- News Media and Political Power
- Ethnic and Community Journalism
Our Financial Support
All aspects of the project are done on a nonprofit basis and participation is usually free of charge.
NEWz is supported by numerous grants, including ones from
- The Boston Foundation
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts Foundation
- MetroWest Community Health Care Foundation
- Partners HealthCare
- The Virginia Wellington Cabot Foundation
- The Robert R. McCormick Foundation.
NEWz is actively raising funds to run the organization which is largely staffed by part-staff and numerous unpaid volunteers.
Center on Media and Society
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.