How to Apply
Program Dates: The application process for the summer 2018 CREST REU program will start on ~ 20 October 2017 with an application deadline of February 1, 2018. The summer 2018 CREST REU program, will run from Monday June 4th to Friday August 10th. Arrival for the program will occur on Sunday June 3rd and departure from the program will occur on Saturday August 11th. In certain cases, we may be able to accommodate alternative starting or ending times, but these accommodations will only be approved during the offer stage.
Eligibility: Applicants must 1) be citizens or permanent residents of the United States, 2) must be enrolled in college for the fall 2018 (i.e. students who will graduate by June 2018 are not eligible to apply), 3) have successfully completed an introductory course/course sequence major, 4) be willing to live in group (same gender) housing of a 4 person apartment, and 4) be able to participate in the program full time including weekends and evenings to conduct field and laboratory research.
Students that are minorities underrepresented in the sciences, veterans, disabled, or are early (rising sophomores or juniors) in their undergraduate coursework are especially encouraged to apply.
- Make sure program dates work for your schedule
- Essay (3 pages maximum, double spaced) with the title of “Applicant’s Name Essay” and describing your 1) academic and personal background, 2) career goals, and interest in coastal environmental science, 3) how the CREST REU experience will help you in achieving your goals, 4) and a listing of 3-4 faculty (review "Research Topics" page) you would be interested in working with (please save electronic copy as “Your name Essay” and upload during online application)
- Scanned/PDF copy (i.e. unofficial transcript is okay) of current unofficial undergraduate transcripts (please save electronic copy as “Your name Transcript” and upload during online application)
- Letters of recommendation from two professors familiar with academic performance (While filling in the online application, you will need to identify name, affiliation, and email address of 2 letter writers. Letter writers will receive an email from us requesting these letters)
- Review possible research mentors (under Research Topics) to be identified on online application
- Fill out and submit online application (click here).
Application Submission Note: Once you start the application it is automatically ready for review (we will not screen applications until after Feb 1 and you can make changes until that time) and that there is no "submit" button as the documents are uploaded to your application and that your application sections/documents will not all indicate complete until your letters of recommendation are uploaded by your letter writers.