Boston Marathon Team
Applications for our 2024 Boston Marathon team are closed. We do have a waitlist.
Camp Shriver is thrilled to be a member of the Official Charity Program of the 128th Boston Marathon® presented by Bank of America, working together with the B.A.A. to promote a healthy lifestyle for children in Boston. Camp Shriver will host a team of 10 runners for the Boston Marathon, who together will raise over $100,000 to support Camp Shriver programming, including our inclusive summer camp for children with and without disabilities and school-year Saturday Camp. Camp Shriver and the B.A.A. work together to promote a healthy lifestyle for children throughout the year, offering running clinics to Camp Shriver campers and recruiting children from Boston, with and without disabilities, to participate in B.A.A. youth programming. It is Camp Shriver's 12th year as an Official Charity of the Boston Marathon.
Applicants may wish to contact Barbara.Gildea@umb.edu for a sample fundraising plan to attach to their application.
Members of Team Camp Shriver will raise a minimum of $8,000 to help low-income children with and without disabilities participate in an inclusive summer sports program. Together, we will ensure that all children, with and without disabilities, have an opportunity to learn, grow and have fun as equals. A committee will review all applications and will be looking for 1) commitment to Camp Shriver and/or the mission of Camp Shriver, 2) fundraising pledge and ability to achieve fundraising pledge, and 3) ability to train for and complete a marathon. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis
Team Camp Shriver will receive access to (if current state Covid guidelines permit):
- a comprehensive marathon training program with the support of professional running coaches in partnership with several other Boston Marathon charities - the Marathon Coalition,
- sponsored weekly training runs along the marathon route, including coaching support and water stops,
- a supported 21-mile long run along the Boston Marathon course,
- kick-off event in November,
- post-marathon party at the Westin Copely hotel near the finish line,
- fundraising support, including one-on-one phone calls / meetings with a development professional,
- personalized thank you notes to all donors,
- Boston Marathon Official Charity Team Camp Shriver running gear, and
- additional team meetings and events to be announced!
If you have any questions about the process, or have already qualified for the 2023 Boston Marathon and would like to run with Team Camp Shriver, please contact: Barbara Gildea, Director of Development, by email or at 617.287.7250. If you are interested in volunteering to be part of the Team Camp Shriver Support Squad to cheer on our runners and staff a water stop during the Boston Marathon and for two training runs, contact Barbara Gildea by email or at 617.287.7250.
Center for Social Development and Education