- April 2, 2013: Madeleine Kunin: The New Feminist Agenda
The former Governor of Vermont and Ambassador to Switzerland joined us to discuss her most recent book, The New Feminist Agenda: Defining the Next Revolution for Women, Work, and Family. Prior to the lecture, we held a special alumnae reception. It was an enormous honor to have Governor Kunin on campus; we were also thrilled to have Elizabeth Sherman and Betty Taymor join us for the evening.
Listen to Kunin's interview on WUMB radio, Commonwealth Journal
- March 5, 2013: From Miss Representation to Mass Representation: Educating for Change
Thanks to a special collaboration with the Center for Women, Gender, and Sexuality at UMass Dartmouth, we screened Miss Representation in March. A panel discussion featuring Priti Rao of the Massachusetts Women’s Political Caucus, Cheryl Crawford of MassVOTE, and Christina Knowles in her role as Massachusetts NOW PAC Chair, followed the film.
- February 12, 2013: Women Candidates for Municipal Elected Office: Decisions, Resources, and Structure
Fulbright Scholar Fatma Şenol presented her qualitative research on women candidates running for municipal office and used her findings to offer suggestions on how to encourage more women to seek elected office.
- November 15, 2012: Women and Political Leadership in Massachusetts
This event featured state representatives Denise Garlick and Jennifer Benson, as well as former Boston City Council candidate Sheneal Parker. The women spoke of their experiences running for office, including the specific challenges they faced as female candidates, and for Parker, as a woman of color.
- October 23, 2012: Linda Killian: The Swing Vote: The Power of Independent Voters in 2012
Washington journalist, political pundit, and author Linda Killian kicked off our series in October when she came to campus to discuss her latest book, The Swing Vote. In addition to examining how swing voters influence elections, Ms. Killian spoke of the critical need for women’s voices in the media. Susan Tracy served as the discussion moderator.
- May 30, 2012: Women's Pipeline for Change Conference: Promoting Pathways for Women of Color Leadership
This conference explored research findings and collaborations that support women of color leaders. Featured presentations by: Elizabeth Cardona, Martina Cruz, Holyoke Councilwoman Gladys Lebrón-Martinez, Sheneal Parker, and Fitchburg Mayor Lisa Wong.
- March 22, 2012: Spring Women's Research Forum: The Political Leadership of Women of Color: What’s Research Got to Do with It?
This event featured presentations by Elizabeth Cardona, Martina Cruz, Holyoke Councilwoman Gladys Lebrón-Martinez, Sheneal Parker, and Fitchburg Mayor Lisa Wong.
- March 15, 2012: Women Making a Difference in Worcester
US Attorney Carmen Ortiz and State Senator Harriette L. Chandler were guest lecturers for this off-campus event.
- October 26, 2011: Fall Women's Research Forum: Youth Development Today: The Role of Mentors, Empowerment, and Being Active
Panelists included Professors Melissa Pearrow and Jean Rhodes and GoKids Director Jean Wiecha and was moderated by Ruth Bramson, CEO of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts.
- June 15, 2011: Networking Open House for Women in Politics and Public Policy at McFaddens Restaurant, Providence, RI
- June 2, 2011: Networking Open House for Women in Politics and Public Policy at Silvertone Bar & Grill, Boston, MA
- May 17, 2011: PWPPP Graduation Celebration with keynote speaker, Carmen Ortiz, U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts
- April 28, 2011: Participatory Action Research Fellowship for Women of Color Leaders, a public launch at the Massachusetts State House
- April 20, 2011: Unfinished Business: Building Equality for Women in the Construction Trades, 30th Women's Research Forum
- April 14, 2011: "I Want My Million Dollars!" Why Every Woman Should Care about the Wage Gap
Evelyn Murphy, PhD, Former Lt. Governor, and Director of WAGE Project lectured at this special event. Watch on C-SPAN.
- April 14, 2011: Caring for Women: A Profile of the Midwifery Workforce in Massachusetts Report Release at Massachusetts State House
- March 23, 2011: Run, Women, Run! Encouraging Women to Run for Office
Panelists included Senator Katherine Clark, Representative Gloria Fox, Sheriff Andrea Cabral, Suffolk County, Cambridge City Councilor Denise Simmons
- March 28, 2011: Women and the Uprising in Egypt
A guest lecture by Margot Badran, PhD
- March 8, 2011: International Women's Day Breakfast at Simmons College (co-sponsored event)
- March 1, 2011: Women and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, a State House Library Forum